Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 'Tired of turkey' smoke  (Read 2029 times)

jmitchell418

• Smokey Joe
'Tired of turkey' smoke
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:59:48 AM »
Decided to change it up today with a pork butt after way too much turkey the last 2 days.

5:30am start time
6:15am pork on using kbb 2 wide x 3 high snake method and pecan wood in my wsm 18

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
Re: 'Tired of turkey' smoke
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:11:38 AM »
I am right there with you! I smoked two yesterday. I smoked hotter than normal 260-280 and wrapped them. Turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
I have not tried a snake in my WSM...how hot, how long?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jmitchell418

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
I have not tried a snake in my WSM...how hot, how long?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's the first time I'm using it for this long of a cook. I usually use the snake for ribs very successfully. The 2 wide x 3 high snake holds rock solid at 140 for a good 4 - 5 hours. I've had to refuel 3x today so I'm not sure I'll use it again for this long of a cook. I'm 12 hours in and close to finishing.

jmitchell418

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Done... Finally!

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
That looks fantastic! I see some great bark....

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »
Jmitchell418;   I use the modified-minion (I think that's what it's called) method mostly.  Full load of coal, rock solid temp, long (or short) cooking times.  If short, just snuff out the coals and use again.  'Tis easy and repeatable.  Give it a try :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jmitchell418

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
Jmitchell418;   I use the modified-minion (I think that's what it's called) method mostly.  Full load of coal, rock solid temp, long (or short) cooking times.  If short, just snuff out the coals and use again.  'Tis easy and repeatable.  Give it a try :)

SJ
How much do you start with in the chimney? Full or half? And then you pour in a pile in the center or spread out over top of the unlit coals?  Thanks!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »

SJ
How much do you start with in the chimney? Full or half? And then you pour in a pile in the center or spread out over top of the unlit coals?  Thanks!

It's all spelled out on the tvww site; but here is the short version, I fill the charcoal ring, take 40-50 out of the center, put em in the starter and bring em up to the ashed point.  Now I dumps em back into the crater that I took em from.  Put the WSM back together, open the vents and monitor the temp for the temp you want to use.   When I did the turkey I cook at 325-350, so I had to start with more that the usual 40-50.   Give it a try, what ya got to lose   ...   a few charcoal briquettes.  Have fun ...   

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".