Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Elusive Genesis 5000 : Restoration progress thread (Update - Complete!)  (Read 11825 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: The Elusive Genesis 5000 :: Restoration progress thread
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »

Another Gene' back in the game 8)

Thanks for looking!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The Elusive Genesis 5000 : Restoration progress thread (Update - Complete!)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
Damn! Weber might want to get that one back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »
@SixZeroFour  spectacular job !!!!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 04:41:57 PM »
Speechless.
Wow.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
Dammit Matt!..that is GORGEOUS! .great job on the restore as always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
I just want to pull a chair n stare at it let alone cook on it...   awesome restore right there!!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »
Wow amazing job!!!!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Evan_k

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 02:20:09 AM »
@SixZeroFour I know this is an old post but I have recently picked one of these up and am wanting to do a restoration (hopefully as good as yours). It is in a very similar condition to how yours started!

I had a few questions!

1) Did you sandblast the cook box & end caps? I have heard that sandblasting can make them more prone to holding onto grease etc?
2) Did you end up deleting the Flame stop?
3) What wood did you use? Did you consider restoring the original wood?
4) Did you do anything with the mounts for the glass doors in the frame? mine are quite wobbly, i think there may be some sort of bung etc. missing.
5) Would you do anything different if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give!

[attachment deleted by admin]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Nice looking grill @Evan_k !

Regarding your questions:

1) Yes, both the cookbox and end caps were sandblasted and I would highly recommend doing both or you will have difficulty matching the paint to both pieces. The non-sandblasted part will likely have grease on the surface so the paint wont stick all that well either. No ill effects afterwards in terms of smoothness - just don't use blast media that is too aggressive.

2) Yes I did! It's a cool feature but can become troublesome over time if the thermocoupler is not periodically cleaned off etc. If you have the parts handy or can get them on the cheap I would recommend going this route.

3) Cedar is a good choice for replacement slats as it has natural properties that help it stand up to wet weather and moisture. Beyond that you can use pretty much anything you like if you seal it up properly.

4) There should be little plastic inserts that the door pins sit in - without them they will be a bit sloppy. Check at Home Depot or similar and you can probably track something down that would work. [emoji106]

5) Nope! :) I like to stick with OEM Weber parts if possible, but beyond that there isn't much else that can go wrong with these. If you have a good frame and cookbox you're golden!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Matt

Edit::  I used a grey SAMAN stain on this particular restore. I've tried a few of their tints and they always come out nice.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:00:52 AM by SixZeroFour »

Evan_k

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
Nice looking grill @Evan_k !

Regarding your questions:

1) Yes, both the cookbox and end caps were sandblasted and I would highly recommend doing both or you will have difficulty matching the paint to both pieces. The non-sandblasted part will likely have grease on the surface so the paint wont stick all that well either. No ill effects afterwards in terms of smoothness - just don't use blast media that is too aggressive.

2) Yes I did! It's a cool feature but can become troublesome over time if the thermocoupler is not periodically cleaned off etc. If you have the parts handy or can get them on the cheap I would recommend going this route.

3) Cedar is a good choice for replacement slats as it has natural properties that help it stand up to wet weather and moisture. Beyond that you can use pretty much anything you like if you seal it up properly.

4) There should be little plastic inserts that the door pins sit in - without them they will be a bit sloppy. Check at Home Depot or similar and you can probably track something down that would work. [emoji106]

5) Nope! :) I like to stick with OEM Weber parts if possible, but beyond that there isn't much else that can go wrong with these. If you have a good frame and cookbox you're golden!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Matt

Edit::  I used a grey SAMAN stain on this particular restore. I've tried a few of their tints and they always come out nice.

Awesome, Thanks for the tips @SixZeroFour.. Being in Australia, some parts may be limited! I will be deleting the flamestop as it is corroded and would be annoying if you just wanted to use the side burner!

I did manage to get myself a new old stock Steam-N-Chips from Weber AUS. $119.95AUD, has been on the shelf for a good while! My girlfriend paid for it as my Xmas present so I can't open it but I am stoked, it will make the restore all the better because the old one is corroded away! I sent their customer service an email just on the off chance they had one.. they had literally one, amazing!

[attachment deleted by admin]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
Nice! lmk if you are looking for any specific parts that you can't find locally - I have access to a decent amount of parts and could help mail some out to you in a pinch if you cover shipping. Good luck!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26:07 AM »

This smoker kit is NIB in New Hampshire for $20 maybe @603kettle may be close to it.

Garage Sale
Weber Grill Side Smoker
Salem, NH · over a week ago ·
$20
Viewed by 162 people
Weber Grill Side Smoker Kit
Brand New In Box Never Opened Yet

Here's the link
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Heavydlite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
What?
No ArmourAll on the wheels to make it look good 😀

Very nice job, that cooker is a looker.