Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Have an invitation to come run a cook on a friend's Summit S-670...  (Read 1751 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Hey Gang,

A good family friend just picked up a new Weber Summit s-670 a few months back. I am not sure she knows how to use it but she has invite us over to run a cook (she'll provide groceries, grill and the location).

I have had two gassers for long periods of time, a Genesis Silver B and Barbecues Galore Grand Turbo 6 burner. I barely remember the Genesis but seem to remember that it may have had a hot spot. The Grand Turbo sure does, for example.

My question to the group is if there is anything i need to know before just showing up in front of this grill for the first time and hoping to pull off the cook off like a boss?
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Have an invitation to come run a cook on a friend's Summit S-670...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Find out what's on the menu. That'll help a bunch.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »
My question to the group is if there is anything i need to know before just showing up in front of this grill for the first time and hoping to pull off the cook off like a boss?

A Summit is a beauty of a grill that will give you great heat control and a nice even cooking surface to work with. Nothing special required in terms of operation and they are a pleasure to cook on!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »
Find out what's on the menu. That'll help a bunch.

I get to write the grocery list and twiddle the Weber knobs. Probably i will just stick to beef on the gasser. Thinking about a rib eye roast on the roti and i want to try the weber's smoker box.

A Summit is a beauty of a grill that will give you great heat control and a nice even cooking surface to work with. Nothing special required in terms of operation and they are a pleasure to cook on!

I am looking forward to it actually. Have never cooked on a Summit. My big stainless Grand Turbo is well built but never heated evenly with the cast stainless burners for some reason.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »
The biggest difference is that the Summit has the vertical burners which make heat zoning much easier, especially with more burners and the larger cooking space. Bring an instant read thermometer to help you know when the meat is done, don't put anything that is at risk for flareups directly over a burner on high, and start early/go slowly and you'll be fine.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:47 AM »
I use my grill center (same grill as the 670) quite often, and keep learning new tricks. Things to watch consider:

This thing can get hot. I have rarely used all 8 burners (if you add the sear burner and smoker burner to the 6 main) although it's possible.

Bring a cast iron pan if you have one. They sear great on the side burner, but also make a nice warming option inside over an unlit burner or two. I use a CI Dutch oven as a warmer inside too.

The sear burner, and the two mains on either side, do a great job, but if you are doing steaks consider laying a CI grate on top of the SS grate first, and let it get hot. Makes better grill marks.

I don't use the warming rack often, and there's more usable space if it's not there. I leave it off until late in the cook, if ever.

No issues with hot spots to date on mine. If the grill is new it should not be an issue.

Have an extra tank on hand if you use propane, same for any gasser. Last thing you want is a surprise halfway through.

This thing can hold a lot of food while cooking, so think about where all that food is going to rest when it comes off. Have a table nearby, or a couple runners ready to go.

I have smoked with mine, but only if I have one thing going, which is rare. You might not want everything you are cooking smoked.

If you want to impress, bring a charcoal grill as an option for something. Always fun to manage more than one grill. Some things might work much better on charcoal, and it gives you another option to sear on one and keep warm on the other. People love a guy who can wrangle multiple grills.

Don't forget to light up the knobs. Make sure it has D batteries installed. It is a gimmick for sure, but a cool one!

If the menu calls for something you can rotisserie ahead of time, this grill is one of the best for that. The infrared burner is amazing for a final finish (not used for actual cooking). It can be a little tricky to light.

Can you pay this grill a visit ahead of time, maybe do something simple? Every grill takes time to figure out. This is not your fathers Genesis!

Good luck, and take pics!

Marty

Retired

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the pro tips, everyone. I am looking forward to working with this grill. The vertical burners sound interesting and I have seen them in their pristine unused state in the stores.

This cook is probably several weeks to a month or so off but i will take pics pr shoot some video and respond here.

Keeping the menu simple is probably what i'll do and i can always pack my CGA with Craycorts and some Royal Oak Chef's select. And a fat rib eye for the chef.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »
@GoAnywhereJeep , you are within driving distance for some of us here in cali, be sure to post when and where this shindig is going down AND INVITE US!!!  Just kidding, Your a griller, YOU GOT THIS!!!  Have fun with that big ol toy!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
As 56MPG said, lighting the sear burner can be a little tricky. When you go to light it hold the knob in place after it lights until the flame spreads across the burner.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ