Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody got a favorite Turkey Brine Recipe  (Read 2628 times)

AnotherPintPlease

• Smokey Joe
    • Another Pint Please
Re: Anybody got a favorite Turkey Brine Recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
Thanks. I've committed to the rotisserie this year, which I can't imagine would be "worse" than spatchcock since I have no time limit really. My comment re: dry brine was in reference to still wanting to fridge it for a while. Even without being in a bucket it'll still take up room there.

Nice! When it comes down to it, the rotisserie is my favorite method and it's perfect for the kettle. And yes, fridge space is a premium whether you wet or dry brine. The only difference is can dry brine without having to remove upper shelves!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
... The only difference is can dry brine without having to remove upper shelves!!

I'm probably going to need to source a square or small rectangular pan + matching wire rack for it. Something just big enough to hold the bird but no more ... we have a side-by-side fridge and so there isn't a lot of horizontal space. I'l test fit some of our cookie sheets first. And we have some racks but they are those non-stick cooling racks intended for cookies coming out of the oven.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Years ago Shake's Honey Brine was all the rage

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
Just my opinion here but I don't think a brine is necessary for any of the turkeys coming from the huge processing farms.

This is absolutely true for some turkeys.....but as the ABC link mentions, the best way to check on whether to brine is to check how much sodium is in the turkey.  Butterball even tells you on their packaging that you can brine their turkeys, but to use half the salt indicated in the recipe.  I use Publix turkey, which has 75mg of sodium....not much.  So, I go ahead and use normal brine without worrying about over-salting the turkey.  I choose to wet brine, because it is easier for me than dry brining....and it allows me to use a cooler rather than the fridge, freeing up precious fridge space for Mrs. Foster Dahlet.

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;