Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hidden Beauty  (Read 13043 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Hidden Beauty
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »
Yeah buddy! Reminds me of the old saying, "...a face only a mother could love." You're giving it another lease on life, good onya!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
That will be a great cooker Jeff. You've inspired me to get my '57 custom "cooking ready"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:57:28 PM by Darko »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
Jeff, that kettle is going to be a beauty, at least to those that appreciate kettles.

Darko, If you haven't cooked on that custom, it becomes the same as your Mom's Hummels.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2017, 04:11:33 AM »
Looking good!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
That’s coming along nicely! Jeff was it you that mentioned sometime back to use Ceramabrite to reduce/eliminate the rust/craze marks on the bowl? I did that with my lime 22 and it cleaned up the craze marks beautifully. Looking forward to the finished product.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
Yes, that's what I used in those last before n after pics.  Ceramabryte and steel wool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kettle collector AND cooker!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »
I think it was worth the effort.  But, I was only watching the thread.  That said, seeing how it looks in the end (compared to the beginning) is part of the fun, so the effort isn't wasted. 

What are you looking to trade for her?  :D
regards,
Hal

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »
Yes, that's what I used in those last before n after pics.  Ceramabryte and steel wool

Alright just ordered Cerama Bryte, thanks  8)
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »
ok guys...time for an update.  Been about 2 weeks since the last.

When I left off...I had finished cleaning up the rust stains as good as I could by using Cerama Bryte and steel wool.  I did make the bowl appear cleaner.
So here is where I was at then.  I wanted to make this grill visually better, but not do a complete touchup with yellow paint.  My goals isn't to make this grill something it really isn't.  Let's face it.  This grill was "beat'.  What I wanted to was make the chips on the bowl less horrifying...but still protect the bare areas from getting worse.  I chose to spray all the chipped areas with a 2000 degree header primer.   Sort of a gray color.  I think the result is visually...easier to look at, and less eye catching than the black chips against the yellow finish, and hopefully protected.

Next...plug the hole from the homemade, home drilled OT hardware addition.  I used some stainless hardware and washers, along with a stainless acorn nut.  Fancy?  No, but functional and problem solved.
Next...add 3 daisy wheels from my parts stash.  Looking better yet. 
Add polished legs, power washed original wheels, and economy triangle (more parts stash).  The original triangle was too far gone and rusted to justify the time and effort for what the end result would be.  For those of you that have really got into a bad triangle...you know all about this.
2 more hours time invested for a total of 9.0

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
Pics

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
More pics

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »
More

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
Pics

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »
Last one guys.
First...full disclosure.  The grill had some rim rash that was typical of a grill that had been abused.  I hit the chips with the same 2000 degree primer.  I followed that up with a high temp yellow.  The match was pretty good. As I said, I didn't want to hide what this grill really is, so the rim is the only "touched up" area with yellow.  I figured the worst that can happen is eventually the original chips start to show back up.  But time will tell.
Finished by cleaning up the top vent, and adding one of Brian's awesome handles.  I think the grill has come a along way, and turned out a little better than I thought.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
This needs to be a front page story when you have time @Jeff  I applaud your vision, patience and elbow grease. Not sure I've seen a more thorough description of a Restore than this. Not all museum pieces are NIB. This beauty belongs in the same lineup as any of the amazing kettles in your collection.
Retired