Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hidden Beauty  (Read 12903 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Hidden Beauty
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
Cool project bud. I know you’re the man for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
The beauty revealed...who the eff would paint a yellow black? Lol.

(The same idiot who installed the ash pan.)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
Im looking forward to seeing you cooking on it.

Its gota be alot of work scraping all that paint off.

Have you considered using paint stripper or lacquer thinner to soften it, but not necessarily remove the paint?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
Tried paint thinner...that didn't do much.  Is lacquer thinner more effective?  Paint stripper can be sloppy...I'm patient to take my time with other methods if need be.  Gonna be putting a little time into it the next couple days
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
Lacquer thinner is very stong...gloves, glasses and lots of fresh air strong.

Try wetting a rag with it and let it sit on the paint for a few. If it evaporates too quick cover the rag with plastic wrap.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:35 AM »
@Jeff
I'll take a look in my basement.  I think I still have some stuff I used to easily strip off some spray paint from where someone painted over one of those old porcelain black on yellow Chicago street signs.

It came in a trigger spray bottle for easy application and the paint came off VERY easily & didn't have nasty fumes.  It might work for your high heat paint on porcelain .  If I don't still have a bottle, I'm pretty certain I have a bottle of something else by the same manufacturer, so I can figure it out.  I think I got it at Menards, but have seen it elsewhere too.  In a worse case scenario, I'll peruse Menard's website and can probably figure it out from there. 

When I sprayed it on, I basically put a cloth or maybe paper towels over it & let that get damp too to hold the dampness onto the paint for a bit.  It basically bubbled up & I used a plastic scraper to get it off very easily. 

Tried paint thinner...that didn't do much.  Is lacquer thinner more effective?  Paint stripper can be sloppy...I'm patient to take my time with other methods if need be.  Gonna be putting a little time into it the next couple days
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
@Jeff,

I just looked online and it was Motsenbockers Lift Off Graffiti Paint Remover. 
See https://www.menards.com/main/paint-stain-cleaners/paint-preparation-cleaners/motsenbockers-reg-lift-off-reg-graffiti-paint-remover-22-oz/p-1444444131720-c-19344.htm?tid=-4377318510962617164&ipos=4

I'm pretty certain I've seen it at either Lowes or Home Depot too. 

It also comes in a smaller container for less than $5 at Menards. 

As I said, I don't know if it works as good for high heat paint, but it stripped off spray paint over porcelain VERY, VERY, VERY easily and wasn't nasty smelling like some other things. 

I might also have a suggestion to EASILY clean the aluminum legs (some stuff I bought at NAPA, also in a spray bottle) after trying to figure out how to clean a nasty looking 10 ft aluminum ladder I got for a song.  (Let me know if you want the name of the stuff.  I'll probably try it out on an aluminum leg I have here & then post the results in another thread). 

Good luck. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:08:04 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
Thanks "Hal"  @PotsieWeber I'll look into it

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
If you try it & it works on the high heat paint, let us know. 

For what it is worth, it didn't harm the nice shiny finish on the porcelain 1950's street sign that I used it on.
regards,
Hal

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
So I took a little time off working on this kettle for the Thanksgiving weekend.   I got back into it tonight for a little bit. 
@potsieweber.  Hey Hal, tried that graffiti remover.  It didn't do as well as I hoped.  This black paint is really stubborn and has many layers.  Someone really hated the yellow!!  It helped to take off each layer of black paint, but not the immediate one underneath.  As I got down into the last layers of black, the orange peel texture was another issue.  All the black paint wanted to stay in the "low spots".  This is when I used the graffiti remover, along with steel wool to remove the final remnants of the black.

@hellfiregrill.  I think I'm gonna give your idea of lacquer thinner a try on the bowl.  The lid took longer than I wanted.
I put another hour into the second half of the lid for a total of 2 hours.  It's too bad about the  large porcelain chip in the lid, but overall it's not too bad.  There will be a different handle in this lids future. 
Also removed was the ridiculous One Touch contraption along with the ruined original ash pan inside the bowl that was drilled out so the kettle could breathe.  I ordered some replacement bowl dampers to replace all 3 that were missing.  Cost of dampers...14.00.

Here are some photos of the updated progress

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
Wow that cleaned up really well! Can’t wait to see the finished product. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
Great job, cleaning up well

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »
That lid looks sweet Jeff!  You mention that porcelain chip but it’s not bad at all. Great effort so far!  True RRR going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 07:22:18 PM »
What an amazing journey! Can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
That lid looks sweet Jeff!  You mention that porcelain chip but it’s not bad at all. Great effort so far!  True RRR going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh it's pretty bad! Lol.  But this will be a fun cooker when it's all done!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app