Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Should I get an older used thick gauge BIG rib rack?  (Read 1916 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Should I get an older used thick gauge BIG rib rack?
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
Should I buy a used thick gauge older rib rack that has seating for 8 (9 if you slip a rib between the last large spacer and a smaller piece that I assume is supposed to be a handle). 

I'm guessing it's a Weber based on the thickness of the gauge, but don't really know.

Looks like it would work best on a 26" as it looks cramped on a 22 where an acquaintance used it.

Pros, cons?

What is a "fair" price?
regards,
Hal

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Should I get an older used thick gauge BIG rib rack?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
Might need a visual here, or a link to whatever you saw.

For example, the Weber 6469 could conceivably do 7 as you describe. It's designed to roast holder one way, a rib rack the other way. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6469-Original-Roast-Holder/dp/B005LR6Z56

Fits on a 22.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
Does the rack you are talking about look like this one?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
DO WANT
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

Where did you get such an amazing contraption? Fit in a 22??

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
If you think you'll use it... then get it.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
Looks somewhat similar to that one with some slight design differences.  Gauge is probably the same compared to the grill. 
Yours, along the bottom has two side wires, a center wire and then two more wires (one between the center and each of the two sides) for a total of 5 wires along the bottom that parallel the longer side of the rectangle.  The one my friend has only 4 wires along the bottom (as if your entire center was removed as I've, only partially indicated in the first attached picture). 
Yours also has 10 kind of soccer goal shaped portions that are welded to only 2 of the 5 bottom wires.  Yours also has a cross brace welded between the two edges of the soccer goal shaped portions. 
In contrast, mine has 9 soccer goal shaped portions with no cross sections.  However, as indicated in the first picture (just on the front one, but the other 8 are the same) my soccer goal shaped portions also curve at the bottom and are welded to all 4 of the 4 bottom wires and then curves upward (maybe halfway) towards the top.
Additionally, mine has a 10th portion in the front (that I indicated in the second picture because it was easier to show what the back 9 portions looked like using the front portion in the other picture).  Basically, instead of having a 10th identical piece, the two center rails along the bottom curve up to make a soccer goal portion that is maybe half the width of the other ones.  (see my crummy sketch in grey) That is why I referred to it as a handle.

Thank God I'm not an artist. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
Based on @addicted-to-smoke's comment, I'll probably get it.  If I find I don't use it, it might wind up being a useful trade in the future. 

DO WANT
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
@Kneab Do you know if the one you showed is on a 22 or 26?  Also, see my crappy drawings and description of how mine differs a bit from your picture.
regards,
Hal

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »
@Kneab Do you know if the one you showed is on a 22 or 26?  Also, see my crappy drawings and description of how mine differs a bit from your picture.
Your pics aren't working for me. I've been having issues lately.

The pic of mine is on an old 26" but it will fit in a 22" also. It's in the middle 60's to middle 70's catalogs.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks, I'll probably get it and take some pics to show it off. 

It is similar to yours, but has some design differences.  I'm guessing it may be a slightly different year or something because for a long time Weber used to be the only place that made really quality stuff with robust designs. 

On a 22, I thought it seemed like it would be a bit "crowded" (especially the ribs on either end possibly hitting the curvature of the grill).

Sorry about the pics, I attached them to a slightly earlier post and you can't really see them unless you click on them to blow them up.

Your pics aren't working for me. I've been having issues lately.

The pic of mine is on an old 26" but it will fit in a 22" also. It's in the middle 60's to middle 70's catalogs.
regards,
Hal

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 02:34:59 AM »
It's an RR-37. I have one and I'll measure later today. I've used it in my 26 but I do think it fits in a 22.5. To be continued.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:35 AM »
Thanks Scott!
regards,
Hal

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:56:38 AM »

... On a 22, I thought it seemed like it would be a bit "crowded" (especially the ribs on either end possibly hitting the curvature of the grill). ...

Hal, I've read you don't want the ribs super close to each other so that air can't easily pass. That's a concern with racks, unless designed with large enough spacing.

But I think the edges of the cooker might be less of a concern, as the metal barrier corrals hot air against the food. Hope that makes sense.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:19 AM »
Remember to leave room between the racks for air to circulate.
I made this out of two cheap one from Walmart. Cut a notch so they can expand etc. I can put 4 on a 22 inch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app