Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are we headed towards 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'?  (Read 4312 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Are we headed towards 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'?
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:00:48 AM »
I was reading the estate sale comments over on the trading post and enjoyed the joking around about people waking up with flat tires and it set me to wondering. What If-- there was a estate sale ad that popped up and in the pictures there was a old style "Red" Ranch in the backyard, then in another pic there was a Westerner on the back deck, and finally, there under a cover in the garage was one of the original 53's? I'm just picturing this place turning into the big car chase from 'It's a Mad World', complete with sabotage, espionage, guile, and all kinds of calamity! Let's hope it happens  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Are we headed towards 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:09:50 AM »

Oh, man.......I don't know, I just don't know.............I have a hard enough time just trundling around the north county...........by myself............but with a whole gaggle of other folks, like "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad....."
we'd have to film it, reguardless........ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:06:53 AM »
Since I'm still a newbie (with 4 inflated tires), things like the holy grail don't get me wound up,,, yet.   But I can see where you're going with this.
It sure would make for some interesting WKC posts.  :D  Like you said, let's hope it happens...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
I don't know who I'd want to ride with, Reilly seems like a good choice since he always seems to get his grill but I'm afraid we might have to make a side trip halfway across the country to pick up one of his other scores first. Then there's Buckie, but with Buckie I'd be afraid his wife might sabotage us on the way there or shish kabob us when we got back. Jeff knows a ton about these grills and would be "on" the Red one but would he let the black original kettle ride in the car? Duke has already passed up on a original kettle frame once so how committed would he be? Troy seems like a logical pick but what if they jack with the price and worse yet, have mesquite charcoal in one of them? Hogsy and Golly make sense too, they've already scooped up all the collectible Webers on one continent but could they make the transition to non gassers and what if there favorite beer isn't available here to fuel them? Zavod would be a ringer but does he need anything else, really? Then there's HeyJude, first off, could he bothered to get out of the hammock for a non free grill, what if it's in Bakersfield?  Secondly, how far behind the rest of the guys would you be once 420 hit?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
Only if there's an 1880 too!
kettles, smokers...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »
I don't know who I'd want to ride with, Reilly seems like a good choice since he always seems to get his grill but I'm afraid we might have to make a side trip halfway across the country to pick up one of his other scores first. Then there's Buckie, but with Buckie I'd be afraid his wife might sabotage us on the way there or shish kabob us when we got back. Jeff knows a ton about these grills and would be "on" the Red one but would he let the black original kettle ride in the car? Duke has already passed up on a original kettle frame once so how committed would he be? Troy seems like a logical pick but what if they jack with the price and worse yet, have mesquite charcoal in one of them? Hogsy and Golly make sense too, they've already scooped up all the collectible Webers on one continent but could they make the transition to non gassers and what if there favorite beer isn't available here to fuel them? Zavod would be a ringer but does he need anything else, really? Then there's HeyJude, first off, could he bothered to get out of the hammock for a non free grill, what if it's in Bakersfield?  Secondly, how far behind the rest of the guys would you be once 420 hit?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thats awesome...but yeah, if that original 53 was black and in my truck, I might be eyeing it thinkin about a "tuck and roll"!  Can you see an original '53 bouy rolling out of a car bouncing up and down on the concrete?  That's what you get for being boring black!  LOL
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
The craziness involved with the grill trade can get crazy, but that's half the fun.  :D

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
Two words, "Tranquilizer darts"  :o :o ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Are we headed towards 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
For a Westerner , I'd be more " mad max " than mad world !
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Well, as Bman once said to me (after pointing me to a free SS and I was feeling guilty about it), "If I had wanted that grill for myself, I'd have never told you about it."  ;-)  If one of us found 3 holy grails at one estate sale, do you think we'd be telling the Trading Post, or posting photos after the fact? 
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Ya, this works fine for now as we are all reasonably spread apart. Once WKC hits critical mass we will be forced to put up decoy grills on CL just to fool the other locals.

Well, as Bman once said to me (after pointing me to a free SS and I was feeling guilty about it), "If I had wanted that grill for myself, I'd have never told you about it."  ;-)  If one of us found 3 holy grails at one estate sale, do you think we'd be telling the Trading Post, or posting photos after the fact? 
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
If one of us found 3 holy grails at one estate sale, do you think we'd be telling the Trading Post, or posting photos after the fact? 

So when I get home this Saturday and report the Estate Sale was a bust and came home empty handed, you gunna believe me?  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
Ya, this works fine for now as we are all reasonably spread apart.
There's at least half a dozen of us in the Chicago area. I'm only about ten minutes from Jeff. My kids went to high school in his town. (And I feel extra devious when I score something from his town, though in reality it is probably something he has already passed on.  ;) )
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
Yeah, I got agents in Chicago too. They nabbed a $125 Ranch Kettle for me last year from Ebay. I grew up in the area and my hs friends and family are still there so I go back alot. I'm actually trying to make the June meetup!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
Ya, this works fine for now as we are all reasonably spread apart. Once WKC hits critical mass we will be forced to put up decoy grills on CL just to fool the other locals.

And we don't do that now?  Duke and I play the cat and mouse grill game all the time.
He actually has the South Bay, I have the East Bay and I have an agent in the North Bay.
So just know that any ad could be a decoy for the real deal!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..