Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Poll

Should I look for a different donor kettle besides the H code I already have?

No, it's perfect for the job. Ol' Glory deserves a new kettle as a base.
Yes, it's still in the box for crying out loud. Find a different donor kettle
Other - explain below

Author Topic: Opinions on project  (Read 1930 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Opinions on project
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
Looking for opinions...
When I first saw a picture of this kettle I fell in love. I know it's not "authentic" but I don't care. I love my country and would love to have a similar red, white, and blue kettle for myself.

I have a friend in the powdercoat business who will do it for me. I likely won't cook on it for fear of discoloration, until we come up with an insulation fix for the bowl. He says the lid should be fine. It will primarily be a showpiece. So I found an opened but still boxed H/1986 One Touch and I bought it. I was thinking it would be a perfect grill for the project: wood handles, no taco, no dings, perfect triangle, legs, and wheels. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it for this project? The year is not special to me, nor is the box. But it might be to someone? I'd hate to sacrifice something that is special in it's own right. Opinions on using this H code? Thanks.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Opinions on project
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
I was a little confused on the questioning, No means use the kettle, Yes means don't do it.  Right?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
Correct.
Should the kettle be kept as a NIB black kettle?
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
I'm confused also.  Are you looking for someone to justify doing the flag design?  Or justify doing it on that particular kettle?  Either way its your choice!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

cobrasteve

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
That looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
Go for it, That will be cool looking
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
I'm confused also.  Are you looking for someone to justify doing the flag design?  Or justify doing it on that particular kettle?  Either way its your choice!

on the NIB kettle
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
OK I reworded some of it, hopefully it helps.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
Go for it @Rub the way I see it it's not really doing the NIB kettle any disservice.  Can't wait to see the end result.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
It’s your kettle dude...you don’t need our permission ;)

Cool project...can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »
Personally, I wouldn’t use it as the base for this project. The porcelain, which is non-conductive, needs to be stripped for powder to “stick”.  If your gonna do the ash bucket set-up, you’d be better off with a 2000’s kettle. Wouldn’t need to modify leg sockets, or ash assembly ring. Would just pop into place.  There’d be no feelings of guilt if you used a good used kettle with porcelain issues. If the triangle is rusty, you could even go red, white, & blue on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
Personally, I wouldn’t use it as the base for this project. The porcelain, which is non-conductive, needs to be stripped for powder to “stick”.  If your gonna do the ash bucket set-up, you’d be better off with a 2000’s kettle. Wouldn’t need to modify leg sockets, or ash assembly ring. Would just pop into place.  There’d be no feelings of guilt if you used a good used kettle with porcelain issues. If the triangle is rusty, you could even go red, white, & blue on that as well.

My buddy has researched it and says it can go on top of the porcelain.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
My buddy has researched it and says it can go on top of the porcelain.
[emoji848] Assume he’ll have to get to bare metal in one spot to add polarity to parts & really crank up the juice to get powder to adhere. Might not be a bad idea to get him a junk kettle for a trial run. At least then you can see how much heat/accidental pressure it takes before paint damage occurs. It should turn out pretty sweet, regardless of whether you can cook on it, or not.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
I was just checking out Coleman lantern sites and saw a post about some members getting enamel coatings re-done to restore a lamp...lamps come in colors.. I think I would look into that before powder coat.  I mean .. if your going to put that much work into it you better do it good.
Also.. if it was me I would try to find a NOS late model grill to start with or even build it to a MT clone. You could even put some custom wood handles on it.   Just my thought :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
I've been working on this for a while.

It does not appear powder coating will take the temps generated in a cooker.

NIB kettles would not be to difficult but I believe you need to remove the porcelain prior to adding new multi colored porcelain and placing in a kiln.

One issue with old kettles is the potential for grease to drip off and start a fire in the kiln.

I realize powder coaters typically pre bake parts prior to powdering to eliminate oil contamination so this may help but you don't want to pre bake in a kiln.

There is a porcelain refinisher who does Coleman lantern vents. Currently people have been waiting since early 2017 for him to complete their work. Coleman vents are tiny compared to a kettle.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club