Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Poll

Should I look for a different donor kettle besides the H code I already have?

No, it's perfect for the job. Ol' Glory deserves a new kettle as a base.
Yes, it's still in the box for crying out loud. Find a different donor kettle
Other - explain below

Author Topic: Opinions on project  (Read 1923 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Opinions on project
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
I had a 18” WSM powder coated at a former plant I worked at. All I did was clean all the crud out of it. No porcelain stripping.  Paint still looks good, I’ve never cooked on it after powder coating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Personally, I wouldn’t use it as the base for this project. The porcelain, which is non-conductive, needs to be stripped for powder to “stick”.  If your gonna do the ash bucket set-up, you’d be better off with a 2000’s kettle. Wouldn’t need to modify leg sockets, or ash assembly ring. Would just pop into place.  There’d be no feelings of guilt if you used a good used kettle with porcelain issues. If the triangle is rusty, you could even go red, white, & blue on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My buddy has researched it and says it can go on top of the porcelain.

Your buddy is correct.  Powder coating can't be directly applied to porcelain but he sand blast it.  I had a 14" WSM done.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
Opinions on project
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
That  may be the smoothest,  glossiest,  powder coated piece of metal I have ever seen.

If your associate can do that have at it.

My guess is that if you used a charcoal basket(s) and kept the coals off the sides you could cook on a kettle that was high temp powder coated with decent longevity.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
The powder coat on my rotisserie ring is rated for 500 degrees.

Why not consider cerakote?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »

Not sure it comes in red, white and blue.

@bigredmf I think that one is just regular paint.

I've been working on this for a while.

It does not appear powder coating will take the temps generated in a cooker.

NIB kettles would not be to difficult but I believe you need to remove the porcelain prior to adding new multi colored porcelain and placing in a kiln.

One issue with old kettles is the potential for grease to drip off and start a fire in the kiln.

I realize powder coaters typically pre bake parts prior to powdering to eliminate oil contamination so this may help but you don't want to pre bake in a kiln.

There is a porcelain refinisher who does Coleman lantern vents. Currently people have been waiting since early 2017 for him to complete their work. Coleman vents are tiny compared to a kettle.

Red

He powder coats his drum smokers that he sells. He says it's good up to 500. He has already tested powder coating on top of porcelain.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
Don't cook on it; heat will almost certainly tar the finish. Why not contact a sign or vehicle wrapper, and have it wrapped?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »

Not sure it comes in red, white and blue.

@bigredmf I think that one is just regular paint.

I've been working on this for a while.

It does not appear powder coating will take the temps generated in a cooker.

NIB kettles would not be to difficult but I believe you need to remove the porcelain prior to adding new multi colored porcelain and placing in a kiln.

One issue with old kettles is the potential for grease to drip off and start a fire in the kiln.

I realize powder coaters typically pre bake parts prior to powdering to eliminate oil contamination so this may help but you don't want to pre bake in a kiln.

There is a porcelain refinisher who does Coleman lantern vents. Currently people have been waiting since early 2017 for him to complete their work. Coleman vents are tiny compared to a kettle.

Red

He powder coats his drum smokers that he sells. He says it's good up to 500. He has already tested powder coating on top of porcelain.

Rub,

The high temp does come in Red, White, and Blue and appears it can be adjusted for a variety of shades as well.