Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lighting a chimney on really windy days  (Read 4178 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Lighting a chimney on really windy days
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »

I use something similar to this. I've had it for years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Whoa that looks sweet! Does it connect directly to a propane tank?

Better plug your phone in soon my man haha

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Yes. 1 pound can

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:56 AM »
I still use lighter cubes but I put a layer of charcoal in the chimney before lighting, drop it in, and then more coals on top to avoid it falling through the bottom.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
I still use lighter cubes but I put a layer of charcoal in the chimney before lighting, drop it in, and then more coals on top to avoid it falling through the bottom.

I've never heard of anyone putting the lighter cubes into the chimney before. I wouldn't have thought the flame could get very big doing that, being sandwiched between layers of charcoal?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
I just looked at the Sterno cans in the store. If each one lasts "2 1/2 hours" I can see how that would be cheaper than buying a box of Weber cubes, yeah?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
I just looked at the Sterno cans in the store. If each one lasts "2 1/2 hours" I can see how that would be cheaper than buying a box of Weber cubes, yeah?

Dunno, I've never used the cubes. Been using the Sterno method for years with no problems and cheap as hell, especially if you catch them on sale. Just buy a couple cans of it and try it to see if it works for you... if you like it, go get a flat of it!  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »
I was just thinking that a box of cubes retails for $4, or a street price of about $3.70 give or take. The box has 24 cubes and Weber recommends using two per chimney light.

I've tried to only use one. It usually works, but yeah, it's a crap ton slower to light, and could actually run out before catching the charcoal.

So I'm guessing the Sterno cans cost less over the life of their uses.

My question is about the flame and heat. Does the alcohol burn hotter than the petrol-based paraffin cube? The flame isn't as long, is it?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
I like the sterno can idea but I think I would dislike it for the same reason I dislike gas assist. Which is I have to pay attention when to turn it off. Whereas lighter cubes, I light one, walk away, and I’m done. Prep food and come back to coals ready

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
I dislike my gas assist enough that I might eliminate it or sell the performer. It’s a real estate hog.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the lighter cubes and wooden matchsticks. In my first year of Charcoal grilling I spent a bunch of money on fancy lighters. Now I just buy a lot if the cubes when on sale place the cube down, cover with my hands and they usually light on the first go and if not the second even in wind. If I have some paper towels I'll stop up the fat in cast iron pans and add that under the chimney too

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
I like the sterno can idea but I think I would dislike it for the same reason I dislike gas assist. Which is I have to pay attention when to turn it off. Whereas lighter cubes, I light one, walk away, and I’m done. Prep food and come back to coals ready

I get the line of thinking with the ease of the "walk away" thing, Butt you should ALWAYS be monitoring your coals when lighting, no matter what method you're using. Never leave them unattended while lighting, especially when in a windy situation. Do you walk away from your grill while grilling your dinner? I'd guess not.

Bottom line, Sterno works for me... maybe not for others. Don't poo-poo it until you've tried it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Lighting a chimney on really windy days
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »

I get the line of thinking with the ease of the "walk away" thing, Butt you should ALWAYS be monitoring your coals when lighting, no matter what method you're using. Never leave them unattended while lighting, especially when in a windy situation. Do you walk away from your grill while grilling your dinner? I'd guess not.

Bottom line, Sterno works for me... maybe not for others. Don't poo-poo it until you've tried it.

I’m not poo pooing it at all. I think it’s a great idea. I haven’t tried it but I believe you that it works, but I prefer the lighter cubes so I can light it and forget it. I do walk away after lighting without a second thought and have been doing that for as long as I can remember. I’m not in a particularly windy area though.  If I had to baby sit when the coals were lighting, that would be a huge hinderance to my routine.

Just personal preference, just like guys who love their gas assist. Nothing wrong with that either, just not my preference.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:54:25 PM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
I dislike my gas assist enough that I might eliminate it or sell the performer. It’s a real estate hog.

Why I sold mine off brother. IMO performers are a tad overrated. If you have a side table, patio table, or extra grill then you don’t need the table on a performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Lighting a chimney on really windy days
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »

Why I sold mine off brother. IMO performers are a tad overrated. If you have a side table, patio table, or extra grill then you don’t need the table on a performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a normal non weber obsessed person that wants one grill, I’ll bet a performer is the greatest. But if you have a bunch and want to rotate them in, a performer can get in the way lol

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »
I use a couple of cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol.  It's cheap and gets the charcoal going perfectly in the wind. 

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
I use a couple of cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol.  It's cheap and gets the charcoal going perfectly in the wind. 

Whoa! I would think those would burn up really quick!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.