Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lighting a chimney on really windy days  (Read 4179 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Lighting a chimney on really windy days
« on: November 05, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Does anyone know any tricks? I typically use paper to light my chimney as I used to work in a commercial print shop and I have tons of it laying around. I have used lighter cubes in the past, but I don’t like how they melt and eventually fall between the grate and then into my ash bucket below.

Anyway using a fireplace match or lighter seems to be tricky in the wind. Any tricks out there that I am unaware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lighting a chimney on really windy days
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »
I would either use lighter cubes on windy days, or build a temporary wind partition from large pieces of cardboard. If yours is a standalone grill (not Performer) try moving it around so that the lid can act like a shield. Make sure it doesn't catch and fall over!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »
Thanks ATS. I’ve tried the lid trick before and it helps a bit. Usually I light the grill with the bottom vents open. This time, I closed the vents to get the paper lit and that seemed to help a bit too.

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
I put my lighter cubes on a piece of a broken flower pot to keep it from falling through the grates.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:35:16 AM »
Sterno. Light a can of Sterno and place the chimney over it. The coals light pretty fast, and once they are lit, set the chimney off to the side and snuff out the Sterno with its lid, pick it up with a pair of tongs and set aside.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
+1 for sterno or chaffing fuel canister.   

I use the style you can get at Sams in a case.   These have a wick and do great with the Weber chimney.   Work good to restart used coals as well

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:49 AM »
Now that sterno/chaffing fuel is the idea I was looking for! Excellent!

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Click n Flame wind resistant utility lighter. It's like a mini blowtorch. $2 locally.

MattF

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
I started using my turkey fryer burner a while back in an effort to reduce the smoke when lighting coals. Works like a champ and is a little quicker to get the coals on the grill. I have no doubts this would work in windy situations.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
I use something similar to this. I've had it for years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

I use something similar to this. I've had it for years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Whoa that looks sweet! Does it connect directly to a propane tank?

Better plug your phone in soon my man haha

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »

I use a small, handheld propane torch to lite my briquettes.  The kind used by plumbers to solder copper pipes.

Sometime in the last year, I read that a WKC member utilized a propane torch to light his chimney. Whoever it was, thank you.  I finally got around to trying this method.  Wow.  Lighting time using the torch was approximately 1 minute or less.  The briquettes were fully ashed and ready to use in 12 - 13 minutes. Really fast and easy. I used KB Competition tonight, but have used this method 4 or 5 times now with standard KB with the same results. Much faster lighting than lighting with newspaper and virtually no smoke. 

With tin snips, I cut and removed one tab on the lower part of the chimney. 

This allows for the torch to be inserted into the chimney.

Once I see a small bit of smoke, I rotate and move the torch so the flame ignites several areas. After roughly 1 minute, I extinguish the torch and place the chimney on an old beater SJ. I find this helps speed the lighting as it protects the chimney from the wind and reflects additional heat into the chimney. After 9 minutes, I shake the chimney just like you flip pancakes in a pan. It redistributes the briquettes and speeds the lighting even more.

These are the briquettes after 12-13 minutes in the chimney tonight.

The ribeye cap steaks were amazing BTW.

@Thrillho - You might try this method as it be another way to cut back on the smoke your neighbor was complaining about.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try that pancake flip/shake to speed up my charcoal starting time.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
I got the Sterno idea from Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ Team at a BBQ competition a few years backwhen I was still competing. It works in any kind of weather, it's cheap, and lights coals VERY fast! Forget the fancy torches, turkey fryer burners, weed burners, etc... I've tried them all. Sterno is portable, takes up little to no room when traveling, and can be reused... I've gotten good mileage from just one tin. I buy it by the flat at the big box stores. Good shit I tell ya'!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
These are awesome ideas! And sweet torches too!