Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thinking about grilling a turkey this thanksgiving. Am I crazy?  (Read 4741 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thinking about grilling a turkey this thanksgiving. Am I crazy?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:19 AM »
you are not crazy.  you will love doing it on the grill.  but, make sure you brine the turkey overnight.  if you brine it, the turkey will be more forgiving if you overshoot the temp....plus it will taste much better.... all the methods mentioned above will work.....you have lots of options.  practice it at least once before the big day.....it will make the experience much more relaxing on Thanksgiving, because you will know exactly what you are doing.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
I need to look around and see what might be lurking in storage for a container. If nothing turns up I may get one of these: http://www.thebriner.com
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
I am in Ohio and I have always used my cabinet smoker to smoke two medium turkeys. This year, I have two 22's so I am thinking about using the roti on one and spatchcocking the other. For the spatchcock one, I plan to snake my fuel to help cook the bird evenly. In the roti, I will just dump the coals on one side and let it spin.

I always stuff my birds with sliced apples and use apple wood. Every loves it. I even did one "beercan chicken" style except with Dr Pepper. People loved that as well.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
How do you prevent the oven thermometer from gunking up? Is there any trick to keeping it clean? Mine after a few cooks is illegible until I take some bartenders helper to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Thinking about grilling a turkey this thanksgiving. Am I crazy?
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
How do you prevent the oven thermometer from gunking up? Is there any trick to keeping it clean? Mine after a few cooks is illegible until I take some bartenders helper to it.

I scrape mine off with a razor. Just watch ye fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »
"Clean your thermometer with this one weird trick!"

At about $6-$10, I consider them disposable after awhile. Also, I've never successfully cleaned one but I might try Travis' razor trick.

Also, analog dial thermometers don't stay accurate forever, and will eventually read too low. Successful preservation will eventually work against you there.

Or you could invest in a digital thermometer set with two probes like the Maverick 732, 733 or the Thermoworks Smoke.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
I’ve done the razor trick on thermometers and on wood burning tips. Success in both applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

moosehead

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to give a go on my weber.
Now I just have to decide on a brine, and a way to keep it cold. Fridge might be a little full.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to give a go on my weber.
Now I just have to decide on a brine, and a way to keep it cold. Fridge might be a little full.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Ice and a cooler work well too

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »

I scrape mine off with a razor. Just watch ye fingers!

I’ve done the razor trick on thermometers and on wood burning tips. Success in both applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

.....once you get it cleared, oil the glass BEFORE you cook.....wipes right off afterwards in most all cases....

I need to look around and see what might be lurking in storage for a container. If nothing turns up I may get one of these: http://www.thebriner.com

Go to your local grocery & ask the bakery dept. if they have any large size frosting or dough containers that they're going to toss or recycle......food grade plastic, usually with a lid !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
I got the Briner for my birthday.  It is very helpful....a lot easier than the XL Ziplocs

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »

Go to your local grocery & ask the bakery dept. if they have any large size frosting or dough containers that they're going to toss or recycle......food grade plastic, usually with a lid !!!!

A good idea …. Also, check a wine-making place.  They will have 5 gallon pails that they might give away for free.  Worth checking.

Spray-Nine is an excellent de-greaser.  I have used it for the above problem with no issues.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
Do mine with the SNS indirect spatchcocked and most important legs toward the SNS.  I have my probe in the breast and pull it when it gets to 160' the dark meat closer to the heat will be higher like you want it, but the breast will dry out at higher temps,  BUT DO GO LOWER THAN 160!!!!.  Amazing Ribs has a great article.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »
Why do you pull it at 160 but also say to pull it lower than 160?

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
I would definitely brine your bird before grilling or smoking...It's extra insurance in case you do overshoot the temp a bit...