Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Random act of chimney  (Read 2318 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Random act of chimney
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
There's this guy out in the middle of nowhere that buys pallets of stuff that originates as Amazon or Target returns for whatever reason. Could be damaged or incomplete, could be pristine. So I went on a trek today for a cheeep new Master-Touch from him. Except for some rim rash and a bowl that needs a bear hug, the rest is mint and complete. I've got a machine I can scavenge some parts from now for other projects.

I'm driving back home and pull into a Wendy's to take a leak. I'm ready for lunch and considering ordering there. I come back outside and get a brief whiff of grilled food that's in no way related to Wendy's.

I spot some dude in the next lot over, behind the sketchy liquor store, and he's got a grill and a table and a tent. Just out in the middle of the grass, not really in-sight of the bust street.

I drive over, get out, and he's selling burgers, pork steaks, wings and chicken subs from a Char-Griller. I get 4 wings, a burger and a pork steak. Really good food, $10.

I leave but take note of the lighter fluid and Match-Light scattered around. Back in the car, I GPS'd the nearest Wal-Mart. My new favorite chef has got to have a better setup.

As I'm pulling a chimney off the shelf a woman stops to ask me how the thing is used, and we wind up talking about her Boston Butt that she left at home, cooking since 8am and she's asking me about thermometers, grill gloves, bear claws and so on. When I can't find any lighter cubes to go with the chimney, I leave empty handed, but not before learning from her there's Home Depot/Lowe's not far.

So I bought a Weber chimney and their lighter cubes and headed back. We chatted briefly about how it might save him some time and money and that I wanted to help him succeed, in some small way. He was shocked, thanked me and I went home.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Random act of chimney
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke , that is awesome.  You are a gentleman and a scholar!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
Awesome story, a grate grillfella move, hats off to @addicted-to-smoke
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
How VERY cool. Showing and sharing the ways.
Awesome story. Great Karma right there.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
Great job!!!

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
Random acts are awesome, way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
Very cool of you to do that!  If you or anyone you know is active on social media might be worth trying to spread the word about where he's located and how good his food was!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
Very cool of you to do that!  If you or anyone you know is active on social media might be worth trying to spread the word about where he's located and how good his food was!

Not a bad idea, except I know exactly no one anywhere that would be near there. But for anyone who finds themselves in Bowling Green, KY, and on Russelville Rd. he's in the grass field behind the Parkway Liquors, 2654 Russelville Rd. Tuesdays-Saturdays, he said.

Here's a Google image of the liquor locker on Russelville Rd. the left, and the field behind it on the right, as seen from Dillman Rd.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »
Awesome!
Good to hear something like that today

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
Fantastic!  Was his chargriller the simple barrel shaped style?  I have a buddy that swears by that thing even if he does have to replace it every few years.

FrugalQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:56:21 PM »
Think he’s a former employee of the Smokey Pig?

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
"Grillin it forward".... Awesome random act of kindness....  It will come back to you....

Good Job @addicted-to-smoke good job!!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »
Great story. Props to you fine sir!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Great story, great thing to do! I wish there were more folks like you in this world! BRAVO!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
You are a good man and you also had time to help and explain a few things for the lady in need.
Well done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app