Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Random act of chimney  (Read 2319 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Random act of chimney
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
I've gone on a few of these long distance kettle voyages recently and have had time to think while on the road. I like doing it, sometimes for other people, usually just for me, but can't necessarily sustain it.

On this one I got to thinking about how last time, I saved $10 when the seller offered to take $40 instead of the $50 he was asking. (I gave him 3 twenties and asked for change, which he didn't have in his pocket.) And even though there was no such "discount" on the M-T i picked up yesterday, I still rationalized that I can easily blow $10 or $20 on stupid shit anywhere, so why not just toss this stranger some swag for no reason at all in case he makes use of it?

And I freely admit to romanticizing the notion of the lone eagle out there, with no help, just his gear and some food and the hopes of making a few bucks with his grill.

I do think that the gifts we bestow "with strings attached" are no gifts at all, and of course I have no idea if he'll use what I gave him or if he'll exchange it for store credit. Nor do I suppose I care!

Conversing with the other person was just a in-the-moment vibe that existed.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Random act of chimney
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
But what type of char griller was it? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »

Yeah I made note of that, also. It was the non-Weber kind.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »

I was just curious. I assume it was the horizontal barrel type. They also have a kettleman Gill and the dual gas/charcoal set up that they must have sold a million of. I see those everywhere.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
When I saw a cheap CL CB Kettleman I briefly looked into them and I remember thinking that those grills would be amazing chicken wing cookers but not that good for most low and slow cooks.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »

When I saw a cheap CL CB Kettleman I briefly looked into them and I remember thinking that those grills would be amazing chicken wing cookers but not that good for most low and slow cooks.

They look like they would be fun to play with. I like the huge top vent. The killer for me is they don’t have a way to close the bottom vents.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 05:35:49 AM »

I was just curious. I assume it was the horizontal barrel type. They also have a kettleman Gill and the dual gas/charcoal set up that they must have sold a million of. I see those everywhere.

My neighbor has that one and when he bought it he was so happy. Then he bought a used Weber, then another used Weber, and then another used Weber. His wife said STOP your not turning into Dan! Lmao 😂

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »

Oh I didn't realize you were serious. I don't really know what he had, I only noted the brand name and style of machine. No offset, just a hormonal barrel with exhaust coming out of the lid, like this one:

Looked like a decent cooker if you ask me (except for how they're constructed ...) with plenty of cook space for direct or indirect. He wasn't cooking food when I was there. It was cooked and staying warm in disposable trays sitting on the grate.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »
I don't recall if it was this brand, or another, but remember seeing people on another website talk about how the older ones were thicker gauge & built better so you are better off keeping an eye out for nearby ones on Craigslist & whatnot. 

And, yes, pretty cool of you. 
regards,
Hal