Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sequoia questions  (Read 1730 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Sequoia questions
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »
Hello all, it's been a crazy month and I haven't had a lot of time to devote to restoration work recently.  But I'm looking to restore my Sequoia in November.  I did refinish the handle this week, but I'm curious as to thoughts regarding repainting or refinishing.  I believe this Sequoia is from around 1975-6...and I think it was repainted at some point based on paint splotches on the hardware.  There's some charred wood as well which I'm not too sure what to do about, if anything.  So, I'm throwing it out for you all.  Was it painted?  It seems some later Sequoias were this color...should I strip it and refinish?  I know @Hogsy did a restore, and I've seen his thread, just curious what thoughts others have.  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:15:38 AM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Sequoia questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
Was it painted? Yes. Look at the nail heads...they are the same color as the wood.

You could sand it down, but by the looks of the paint, it may contain lead. I say that because our cabin had similar paint/wear before we stripped it nearly 30 years ago. There is a way that lead paint lays and wears that looks different than stuff used now.

Good news is once you get the paint off, redwood will sand and look new when you refinish it.

As for getting the paint off, there are a few ways to do it. Whatever method you use, lay down a plastic sheet and use a quality respirator.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Hi Crowder,

I restored my Sequoia this summer. Very similar color to yours I think. I tried at one point to post a write-up but I ended up getting blocked from the site when I attempted to upload a bunch of the pics for some unknown reason. [This same thing happened about two years ago, too.] It was weeks and weeks before I magically regained access one day, so I've decided to not try to upload pictures any more.

Instead, here is a link [https://www.flickr.com/gp/ddb_dyt/3w4ij4] to my Flickr album with a bunch of pics of the restore. No write-up. Good luck and have fun with your restore.

Dale

Edit: Sorry Crowder, I got sidetracked while responding to your post earlier. I meant to tell you that I sanded all the wood on mine. It's not too difficult to completely disassemble all pieces and sand them individually. The top surfaces were pretty badly weathered and took a bit more sanding.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:48:11 PM by Dale Benson »
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
@Dale Benson and others, paint removal is going well...what have others used to seal or stain their Sequoias? 

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
Dale,

Your restore looks fantastic. What stain color did you use? My Sequoia is in pretty good condition and I wasn't going to re-stain it until I saw how beautiful yours looks.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »
Well thank you, Paul.
The stain I used was MinWax Golden Pecan.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
Hi Crowder,

I restored my Sequoia this summer. Very similar color to yours I think. I tried at one point to post a write-up but I ended up getting blocked from the site when I attempted to upload a bunch of the pics for some unknown reason. [This same thing happened about two years ago, too.] It was weeks and weeks before I magically regained access one day, so I've decided to not try to upload pictures any more.

Instead, here is a link [https://www.flickr.com/gp/ddb_dyt/3w4ij4] to my Flickr album with a bunch of pics of the restore. No write-up. Good luck and have fun with your restore.

Dale

Edit: Sorry Crowder, I got sidetracked while responding to your post earlier. I meant to tell you that I sanded all the wood on mine. It's not too difficult to completely disassemble all pieces and sand them individually. The top surfaces were pretty badly weathered and took a bit more sanding.

Uhm, WOW!

Unbelievable restore.  Thanks for sharing that link!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
That's crazy good!  Job well done.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »
Hi Crowder,

Dale

Uhm, WOW!

Unbelievable restore.  Thanks for sharing that link!

This. Amazing job! That wood looks gorgeous.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Just to make it easier to see @Dale Benson amazing restore:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/ddb_dyt/3w4ij4

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Dale, that is beautiful!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »
I absolutely love that restore!  Beautiful job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful. Grate job on the whole thing. WOW
What you put into it is just pure LOVE. Awesome share.