Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Home Made Slow n sear  (Read 13441 times)

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
Re: DIY Home Made Slow n sear
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 04:54:38 AM »
Please do. Galvanized has zinc which makes a toxic fume. This is what I’ve always been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I will for sure, thx for saving my life :)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »
Great job

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »
Please do. Galvanized has zinc which makes a toxic fume. This is what I’ve always been told.

So the steel supplier told me there was nothing to worry about as the steel was used to make bread ovens and that the coating migh only transorm to gas under very high heat superior to 1500 degrees F.

I have read a lot since yesterday about this issue, and while there seem to be many point of views and I did not find any serious study confirming the dangerousity of galvanized steel when heated under 1500 degrees F, I have however decided to apply to it a special treatment in order to avoid any risk that is :

1/Light fire inside the SNS with coals and wood on open air as I have read that the galvanized coating is adversely affected by exposure to fire.

2 / Apply a Muriatic Acid bath/dip to remove all the galvanization followed by baking soda bath/dip to kill any leftover acid.

Link to a video demonstrating this process :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tld3onsUVE&t=321s

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »

So the steel supplier told me there was nothing to worry about as the steel was used to make bread ovens and that the coating migh only transorm to gas under very high heat superior to 1500 degrees F.

I have read a lot since yesterday about this issue, and while there seem to be many point of views and I did not find any serious study confirming the dangerousity of galvanized steel when heated under 1500 degrees F, I have however decided to apply to it a special treatment in order to avoid any risk that is :

1/Light fire inside the SNS with coals and wood on open air as I have read that the galvanized coating is adversely affected by exposure to fire.

2 / Apply a Muriatic Acid bath/dip to remove all the galvanization followed by baking soda bath/dip to kill any leftover acid.

Link to a video demonstrating this process :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tld3onsUVE&t=321s
Good deal ! Like I said earlier, what I was always told and didn’t want anyone to get sick . Better to be safe than sorry . Good luck and post some pics with it in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

You are correct in that you do not want galvanized anywhere in your cooker. I googled on this topic several weeks back and got a lot of hits. The DIY is awesome but i thought i saw galvanized metal in the pics too.

Thumbs up for the DIY to the OP. A word of caution on galvanized, though!

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »
Here is the result after removal of the galvanisation:

Pretty happy and ready to cook  ;D

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Awesome work. The things we do.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
Not even supposed to weld galvanized metal as it can seriously make you sick from fume coming off the process. Reg. steel plates are cheap. Why risk it.

Up to you if you want to use it, but if it were me I would start all over with a safe metal. Just not worth a health risk even after acid treatment and burning.    http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/rendering-galvanized-metal-harmless.72991/

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5990

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
it is easier to just buy an SNS or use cheap weber charcoal baskets. You can also split your grill at any section with the weber charcoal rails and fill one side with charcoal.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 05:04:38 AM »
Not even supposed to weld galvanized metal as it can seriously make you sick from fume coming off the process. Reg. steel plates are cheap. Why risk it.

Up to you if you want to use it, but if it were me I would start all over with a safe metal. Just not worth a health risk even after acid treatment and burning.    http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/rendering-galvanized-metal-harmless.72991/

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5990

Fortunately I used a welding mask with respirator, and did it outside in a well ventilated area.

As regards the galvanization, it is very thin "shiny coating", and considering the time I let it soak in muriatic acid (Three hours) and the amount of pure acid used, I am pretty convinced there nothing left, and I plan on doing it again a second time and scrub with a wire brush.

Before:

After:

You can easily see that there is no more shiny coating.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 05:08:48 AM »
it is easier to just buy an SNS or use cheap weber charcoal baskets. You can also split your grill at any section with the weber charcoal rails and fill one side with charcoal.

The SNS is not available/distributed in Morocco.  I have read so much good reviews about it that I wanted to try it instead of the other methods you refer to.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
galvanized platings will in fact make toxic fumes but the zinc coating very easily dissolves in diluted HCl (i.e., pool acid or muriatic acid) in case you inadvertently used a galvanized steel component.  Lots of people mix up galvanized coating s with aluminized coatings on steel.  Aluminized steel is commonly used in things like exhaust systems to prevent corrosion of the steel, but aluminized sheet steel is not a common item at most generic metal supply places. Based on appearance and performance I suspect the common charcoal chimneys are made of aluminized steel but I'm not certain
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
the biggest vulnerability of bare steel in thin gauge will be that it will oxidize at high temperature. You can expect non-protective oxide to form if heated to a temperature where it starts to look even marginally reddish.  Stainless steel will be resistant to temperatures several hundred degrees F hotter, but stainless is also a mother to drill holes in and costs a lot more per pound

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
if your metal supplier said the material was used for bread ovens and was good to 1500 deg F then it was most likely aluminized.  Aluminum coatings on steel are good to about that temperature.  Like galvanizing, they are also easily removed by HCl. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
@BillA from CA , Weber's chimneys and (current) charcoal baskets are aluminized steel.

I *think* the rest of the non-porcelain steel metals are just aluminum? (One Touch sweeps/blades, ash pans and ash catchers)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch