Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Craycort!  (Read 8035 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Craycort!
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
I have to say that I really love my Craycort grates. The first time I ever saw them was on a video of Greg from Ballistic BBQ on Youtube and then one on The BBQ PIT BOYS site and I thought that they just plain looked BADASSED! I really love cooking on cast iron and have so much of it since this last December that Lodge should be giving me an endorsement ! I also have two of the griddle plates that go in the Craycort that I will take some pics of tomorrow when I do up some burgers . Not only do they look kick ass and cook kick ass but they also add weight to my pit so it won't get moved around by the wind which can pick up around here.  I am posting a picture of my grill I took about 10 minutes after I got it home and one about 20 minutes after I got the Craycorts and was seasoning them up before the first cook on them.

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: Craycort!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »
Id like to grab a set myself.  Theu are bad ass.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
Don't go ordering those grates yet, I'm working on a special deal for wkc members.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:38:42 AM »
not to start a flame war or anything, but what are the benefits of the Craycort CI grates over the STOK universal 22.5" CI grate that is on amazon (and at home depot) for 39.99 ?

www.stokgrills.com/accessories.php
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:46:51 AM by bryanw21157 »
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:10:11 AM »
Thats great....it pays to be a WKC member.  Troy, please keep us posted. 

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:03 AM »
not to start a flame war or anything, but what are the benefits of the Craycort CI grates over the STOK universal 22.5" CI grate that is on amazon (and at home depot) for 39.99 ?
I'm a huge fan of CI grates. I think they're the best. One characteristic I would look for is the spacing of the bars. Here is my favorite:

The spacing of the bars is about the same as the width of the bars so it's great for doing veggies and stuff that likes to jump into the fire given wider spaced openings.  ::)
Better yet, the bars on this one are about 3/4" tall so that there is a lot of mass there to produce great grill marks. As a side benefit, the dimensions make it a perfect fit on a 22" kettle. I can even open the hinged portion of the grates.

Unfortunately I do not know where these can be purchased. They were on a fire pit in the yard when we moved in back in '87.

kettles, smokers...

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »
I ordered one as soon as I got my Performer Platinum last week. I used coupon code greatgrates15off for 15% off my order. I did forget to order the cast iron handle for it when I ordered.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:22:46 AM »
I like this one too

It's by Lodge and  has the same width and spacing of their Sportsman grills grates. It also fits between the wings on a 22's hinged grate. It has handles and a raised lip on three sides to help stop "runners" too.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
  not to start a flame war or anything  , but what are the benefits of the Craycort CI grates over the STOK universal 22.5" CI grate that is on amazon (and at home depot) for 39.99 ?

www.stokgrills.com/accessories.php

OH BOY !!!!!

Our 1st flame war  !!!!

Oh....didn't happen?

Oh, well................... ::)

PS: Target now has STOK & also the new Jumbo Toad.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »
I have had the Craycort grates for a few years now. They are awesome.  8)
Steve
"Le Grille? What the hell is that?"

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:47:04 AM »
I like the Lodge one Eastex has. I have a Lodge Doubleplay and the Weber gourmet sear grate. I find the meat doesn't really need to be exposed to the flame for great sear marks.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:51 AM »
Yes Troy let us know ASAP, I'd like to get mine ordered.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
Troy - are you talkin' 22 or 26? Either way - or both ways - I'm in. 18 too for that matter.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Why are the Craycort's better? Better is a matter of opinion but to me the main advantage is that they are modular so you can replace any or all of the sections with griddles , chicken seat, vegetable wok etc. You can also remove any or all of the sections to refuel on longer cooks or remove one section and sit a whole chicken in the space and cook it like you would a beer can chicken without the aluminum can. They also look bad ass if that matters to anyone. here are some pics of the Platinum pit warming up for a burger cook with the griddle plates. You get a great crust cooking on the griddles. I will post some more pics in the other section later.

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!