Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 14  (Read 5212 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WSM 14
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »

Damn cool cooker. You made me want one and I don't think I would've ever considered one before.

Same here. It wasn't on my radar but has now creeped into my brain and won't stop.

Watch your local Wal-Mart next year. (Now that summer is over they probably won't stock any Webers.)

The one near me had the 14.5 for $99 all spring and summer--not a sale price.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
@wessonjb, how did you light your coals? I am impressed with the length of cooking time you got out of it. I have struggled to get more than six or seven hours before the ash is choking out the fire with KBB.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 03:32:00 AM »
@wessonjb, how did you light your coals? I am impressed with the length of cooking time you got out of it. I have struggled to get more than six or seven hours before the ash is choking out the fire with KBB.
Cooked 3 times with it. First cook was Weber charcoal and it went forever. After I pulled my butt I left it open to see how long it would go and went 14 1/2. Light 10 coals and dumped on top with my wood. 2nd cook was chimney of KBb cherry briquettes, with 12 lit dumped on top  for chicken . Chicken went 1 1/2 and I closed it down . 3 rd was ribs and when I started getting the WSM ready for the cook , noticed I had 3/4 left from the chicken cook. Lit 12 and placed on top. Haven’t used regular kbb yet in it. The Weber charcoal is great . Burns forever and hardly no ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »
Thanks again for the pics. I am really liking the 14.

How well would you say it travels? I want to bring it with me in the Jeep on the rugged trails.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »
I picked up a 14 with cover for $40 a while ago.  Cleaned her up and I may just put her into the rotation now that I see all the goodness that is coming off of these little guys.

I have a slab or two of St. Louis ribs cut in the freezer... Hm.....   Maybe next weekend......

Thanks for the inspiration fellas!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 07:05:16 AM »
My 14 is my new favorite cooker. Fire it up and you’ll fall in love.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »

How well would you say it travels? I want to bring it with me in the Jeep on the rugged trails.
travels great. It’s little and extremely light. Perfect for camping

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »

travels great. It’s little and extremely light. Perfect for camping

Cool. Thanks. I may try to source a used one and drag it up to the jeep trail.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
Damn I want one and I never even considered wanting one!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
@wessonjb do you know/have you tried ...

Can it roast also? Maintain like 350-375 for awhile?

I'm doing a recipe now that calls for a low and slow for a few hours, finished off with a higher heat oven roast for another few hours.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »

@wessonjb do you know/have you tried ...

Can it roast also? Maintain like 350-375 for awhile?

I'm doing a recipe now that calls for a low and slow for a few hours, finished off with a higher heat oven roast for another few hours.
holds 350 like a champ ! I remove my pan and dump a full lit chimney. Did a bacon wrapped loin and chicken this way.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Looks delish!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »
Wessonjb,
On your first butt cook what were your lower vents set at? Any adjustments during the cook?

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 03:33:10 AM »

Wessonjb,
On your first butt cook what were your lower vents set at? Any adjustments during the cook?
all 3 where the width of a #2 pencil. I left all vents open till I hit 225 , then closed the bottom 3. Never made another adjustment. Settled in 250-260 and held the whole cook . Think I started with 8-10 lit coals in the middle of a unlit chimney