Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Internal Ash Pan ?  (Read 7737 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Internal Ash Pan ?
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
I was looking into the use of IAP and what they look like... then I had an idea .. mine is a 18” Wok.

What do you fella’s think?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SixZeroFour

Re: Internal Ash Pan ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
I think that's awesome! Should work like a charm!

... sadly we don't have access to the sweet little 18" wok here in N/A :/
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:17 AM »
Go for it!

I made a Happy Cooker style ash pan for my 18" Cajun Bandit out of a stainless steel platter and drilled holes around the perimeter.

If your not getting any air flow you could do the same.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:43:04 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:46 AM »
Wow that’s a cool looking 18”  .. kind of looks like a JJ with an attitude .. or an embarrassed  R2D2 :-)
I like the leg set up on that !

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »
Looks like air flow is gonna be a problem once it burns down some and starts building up with a little Ash. Looks to close to the grate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:22:52 AM »
Looks like air flow is gonna be a problem once it burns down some and starts building up with a little Ash.

Having used an IAP for several years, I would disagree. Only way to know is to give it a shot, though. What's your first cook using it going to be, @vwengguy?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »
I love using an IAP anytime I use a vintage three-wheeler.    Let us know how the wok works out. 

Here’s a couple pics I took of the 22” IAP for another member.
Keep your eyes peeled, these IAP’s make cleanup really easy.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:13:58 AM »
I don’t have my ‘78 weathered warrior anymore because I made a deal with  qrczak1 for it.
I’m just playing with the idea, it could work with a one touch grill but I don’t see the direct need for it.
I think I read once that on long cooks in a 3 wheeler that it keeps the vents from getting blocked with ash. Is there any other use for a IAP that I don’t know about ?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
The Happy Cooker's internal ash pan is broadly bowl-shaped; deeper. It has capacity. That's why it doesn't clog. Having the holes be on the vertical plane helps a bunch also.

I'm toying with the idea of using a Weber 7404 (regular ash pan for a 22) inside my 18--my only Weber with daisy wheels. I realize some ash would still fall through, since the holes I drill wouldn't be on the vertical plane. But the 7404 should have more capacity for ash (and grate clearance) than a serving tray, which I can't find anyway.

The diameter is supposedly 13.4", only 1/10" smaller than the 18's charcoal grate. I quickly grew tired of fishing yard sticks down into the bottom intake holes to clear them, and an internal ash pan will help preserve my weathered warrior's leg socket and bottom vents.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Those look sweet!! Which IAP would you recommend for a 22 kettle?

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »
Looks like air flow is gonna be a problem once it burns down some and starts building up with a little Ash. Looks to close to the grate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This IAP is 1" deep, and I only use it for grilling. The bowl is a 3 wheeler.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 05:23:19 AM »
Those look sweet!! Which IAP would you recommend for a 22 kettle?

If you can find one, get the IAP from a Happy Cooker 22" kettle.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »
WOW!!!!!!! 2 years I've searched for something like this  what exactly did you use? going to fabricate somehow.                                                                                                                                                                 
Go for it!

I made a Happy Cooker style ash pan for my 18" Cajun Bandit out of a stainless steel platter and drilled holes around the perimeter.

If your not getting any air flow you could do the same.

Ryan  Andrew Moore

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
I did one a few years ago
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:50:51 PM by TexasOnion »

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger