Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap vortex  (Read 3930 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Cheap vortex
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »
Hey, wouldn't a cheap chimney minus the handle and cut down to the right hight make a good Vortex?
I know it isn't built like a funnel and it's as little smaller but I think it would work.
I already have a Vortex but was just think of the guy on a budget.

Oh forgot to mention. Cut the inside out of it so it will hold more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:27:28 AM by Joetee »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cheap vortex
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
If you cut it down I don't think it could hold enough charcoal to get hot enough to emulate a Vortex, especially in light of the missing funnel shape/smaller diameter.

But don't listen to me, my wife says I'm a constant naysayer.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
How about a "bigger better chimney vortex case"?   Split chimney in half height wise then open each half and bolt together.   

Maybe easier with sheet metal or EM. 

Or just buy the Vortex

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
Here's a cheap homemade charcoal holder made from scrap ss sheet panel. 

5"H by 12"W

1 3/4 chimney of briquettes.
With enough oxygen this should reach 800F-900F easily.

JV

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »

Oh damn, I like that Jules Verne ….  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
...looks awesome!!

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
Is there any actual benefit to using a vortex though? Wouldn't you get the same result and heat, from, lets say, a couple of charcoal baskets placed in the centre?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:09:21 AM »
Technically, a Vortex shape is like an after burner on a jet with the small end up. So your really pushing the heat to the center. Is there a great benifit? I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cheap vortex
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »
Is there any actual benefit to using a vortex though? Wouldn't you get the same result and heat, from, lets say, a couple of charcoal baskets placed in the centre?

I don't have a vortex but you can easily achieve your desired effect with using charcoal baskets in the center. Light a full chimney of charcoal and wait until you see flames coming out of the top before you pour them in. The coals do not have to be fully ashes over but flames coming out of the top is what to look for before dumping in. This way your coals are heading into peak heat and not on the way down if you wait too long. Once charcoal is dumped in the baskets, leave the lid off until the coals are producing flames over the entire pile and are intensely hot. Place the chicken around and put the lid on and leave all vents wide open. If done correctly, your lid thermometer should be pegged as hot as it goes.  It will maintain this temperature for the better part of an hour. Crispy skin. Easy as that.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cheap vortex
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
Any benefit to using a vortex?  I say no but then again I haven't tried one.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:26:07 AM by HoosierKettle »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »

I don't have a vortex but you can easily achieve your desired effect with using charcoal baskets in the center. Light a full chimney of charcoal and wait until you see flames coming out of the top before you pour them in. The coals do not have to be fully ashes over but flames coming out of the top is what to look for before dumping in. This way your coals are heading into peak heat and not on the way down if you wait too long. Once charcoal is dumped in the baskets, leave the lid off until the coals are producing flames over the entire pile and are intensely hot. Place the chicken around and put the lid on and leave all vents wide open. If done correctly, your lid thermometer should be pegged as hot as it goes.  It will maintain this temperature for the better part of an hour. Crispy skin. Easy as that.

...hmm - thats weird as your instructions here are the complete opposite to what I've been doing (perhaps I've been doing it wrong!).

After I dump the charcoal into the baskets, I then close the lid for 10 minutes to preheat the grill (keeping the temp around 250 -300C). I then lift the lid, put on the chicken (indirect heat) and close the lid and adjust the vents (both top and bottom are around at least half way closed) until get a stable 250C. I just leave the chicken in there until my thermometer probe reads the correct temp to take out the chicken.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:33:17 AM by deans6571 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »
I don't have one, but know that it makes heat in a way that regular (Weber) charcoal baskets can't.

It creates one path for air (less heat loss on the sides) and channels it due to the cone shape. Most of the homemade alternatives use one or more of its feature aspects (larger capacity, solid sides etc) which should tell you something.

Whether or not it's "better" will depend on lots of things, like whether or not you can already do what you want other ways, as well.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »

...hmm - thats weird as your instructions here are the complete opposite to what I've been doing (perhaps I've been doing it wrong!).

After I dump the charcoal into the baskets, I then close the lid for 10 minutes to preheat the grill (keeping the temp around 250 -300C). I then lift the lid, put on the chicken (indirect heat) and close the lid and adjust the vents (both top and bottom are around at least half way closed) until get a stable 250C. I just leave the chicken in there until my thermometer probe reads the correct temp to take out the chicken.

It's only "wrong" if your goals are the same. He's describing a way to get crispy skin via exposure to high heat. You're describing a way to cook at a lower temp.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
I do plenty of cooking on my Webers indirect...While it's true that you can replicate the effects of the Vortex without one...Nothing compares...

I have used mine for years...When you need the vortex there is no substitute....

I was watching as Bill was working with his prototype units...Not even stainless in the early days...But a work in progress turned into a patented tool that no Weber charcoal grill should be without....

Lat thing I have to say is that you do yourself wrong by thinking of the Vortex as "only" a wing cooker...It's uses are limited only by your imagination...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 03:17:49 AM »
I do plenty of cooking on my Webers indirect...While it's true that you can replicate the effects of the Vortex without one...Nothing compares...

I have used mine for years...When you need the vortex there is no substitute....

I was watching as Bill was working with his prototype units...Not even stainless in the early days...But a work in progress turned into a patented tool that no Weber charcoal grill should be without....

Lat thing I have to say is that you do yourself wrong by thinking of the Vortex as "only" a wing cooker...It's uses are limited only by your imagination...

I totally agree with all of this. I have been using The Vortex since it's inception, and have one for every kettle I own. They are all stainless steel, and are bulletproof. The best muti-functional tool you can add to your Weber tool belt.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.