Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Polishing cast iron?  (Read 11757 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
That being said, I have noticed that the more you use them, the more oil adheres, and the paper towel debris issue goes away, and the surface "becomes smoother" in effect as the gaps are filled in.

Thats exactly it!  This is what makes cast iron so great in general and specifically what makes the antique stuff so great.  The more you use it the better it gets! 

The older stuff is definitely smoother from the beginning though.  Something about the type of sand used in the casting process way back when. 

We have a 10" Griswold pan with high sides that is lighter than the 10" regular-sided Wagner we also have. Both are smooth, but the Wagner is unnecessarily heavier. It always feels like you're moving around a disk brake caliper tethered to a brake line you're hoping to not rupture, compared to the Griswold. I'm of the opinion thinner is better, but you better believe I am CAREFUL not to bang around the Griswold too much nor slap it with insane heat without warming up first. Love that thing.

Thats part of what makes the old vintage stuff (griswold in particular) so sought after.  The older pans were the same thickness/size but were much lighter and easier to handle. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
I agree on all points above.
I've come to like the scrapers supplied by Lodge Co.  They are durable and shaped just right for my liking.  I don't find they affect seasoning of the pan.
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »
I’ve been using the skillet daily and it is really nice. It’s developed a very nice seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:14:12 AM by HoosierKettle »

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
I am so blessed. I have the family cast iron pans,  from a 6" Ozark, 7&10" Griswold, 12" Wagner.  I've been cooking on the little Ozark for(let's see, 2+2 is 4, Oh Yea) 60 years.  They were all my Grandmothers.  I can remember cooking eggs on their Okeefe & Merrit Gas range(I'd love to have room for one in my kitchen) when I was 5 yrs old.  We lived with them for a year.  I cook today, I feel, because these wonderful people felt it was important to teach a child to cook and be self sufficient.  That said, I clean them with water and a Polypropylene "Scrubbie".  Cleans food and doesn't touch seasoning.  I then dry them on the stove and wipe on a little oil.  These are priceless to me and I cook on them with pride!!
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »

I am so blessed. I have the family cast iron pans,  from a 6" Ozark, 7&10" Griswold, 12" Wagner.  I've been cooking on the little Ozark for(let's see, 2+2 is 4, Oh Yea) 60 years.  They were all my Grandmothers.  I can remember cooking eggs on their Okeefe & Merrit Gas range(I'd love to have room for one in my kitchen) when I was 5 yrs old.  We lived with them for a year.  I cook today, I feel, because these wonderful people felt it was important to teach a child to cook and be self sufficient.  That said, I clean them with water and a Polypropylene "Scrubbie".  Cleans food and doesn't touch seasoning.  I then dry them on the stove and wipe on a little oil.  These are priceless to me and I cook on them with pride!!

That is a great story. I just purchased a lodge skillet today and hopefully my kids will use it someday. I don’t plan on polishing it. I will leave it as is. I cooked some eggs and bacon as a test and it is superior to my foreign made polished skillet in every way. I like the high sides and the handle configuration.

I emailed Field and said I was interested in buying the 8 and the 10 and if there was a package discount. They emailed back and said no so I bought a lodge skillet and I’m very happy. I would have thought at those prices they would have been negotiable for someone wanting two skillets at astronomical prices.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Since getting a good season on my CI pan my stainless pans have been unused. Feel kind of baf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

That is a great story. I just purchased a lodge skillet today and hopefully my kids will use it someday. I don’t plan on polishing it. I will leave it as is. I cooked some eggs and bacon as a test and it is superior to my foreign made polished skillet in every way. I like the high sides and the handle configuration.

I emailed Field and said I was interested in buying the 8 and the 10 and if there was a package discount. They emailed back and said no so I bought a lodge skillet and I’m very happy. I would have thought at those prices they would have been negotiable for someone wanting two skillets at astronomical prices.

The owner of Field is a very qwerky guy. It does not surprise me he wouldn’t discount. Check out stargazer. They make a 10” pan that looks really good.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
There was a couple “tits” for lack of a better word that I very lightly sanded down. I couldn’t leave well enough alone. I had to cook another batch of bacon to season.

Speaking of bacon,  to me the perfect bacon is crispy but won’t break. It’s soft but not chewy. A tough combination only found in a skillful use of a cast iron pan. This one just made the perfect bacon. I’m very pleased with this common mans skillet.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:46:48 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 01:58:44 AM »
I have used cast iron off and on for years, but the last year, I've been using it daily.

I have learned that almost EVERYTHING you read or watch about seasoning cast iron is bull shit.  I come to this conclusion through my own trial and error.

A lot of you are probably cast iron pros and already know most of this stuff but for anyone else that wants a good seasoning in your cast iron, this link is the absolute best I have tried.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

The mistake I was making in the past is trying to season for an hour in a 350 degree oven.  This does NOT work.  I use vegetable oil and a 450 degree oven for a half hour and let it cool in the oven.  At 350, the oil will not polymerize.  at least not after an hour.

Following this seasoning process will yield a great non stick seasoning layer instantly.  Do not tolerate a year of a crappy skillet that sticks thinking you are building your seasoning.  I was making that mistake this last week with this new skillet.  It was sticking pretty bad.  Finally I cleaned and added to the existing seasoning using this method and presto, the eggs were sliding around like teflon.  I now realize that there is no need to pollish or sand your cast iron.  If anything, you end up with a thicker layer of seasoning in a rough pan that will eventually smooth out anyway.

I maintain my finish by adding a little vegetable oil to the skillet when I'm done and taking the skillet just to the smoke point and I turn the burner off.  This actually builds your seasoning.

But, try this method out yourself, maybe I'm full of bull shit.  You guys already know that though. [emoji41]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:14:13 AM by HoosierKettle »

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
I have used cast iron off and on for years, but the last year, I've been using it daily.

I have learned that almost EVERYTHING you read or watch about seasoning cast iron is bull shit.  I come to this conclusion through my own trial and error.

A lot of you are probably cast iron pros and already know most of this stuff but for anyone else that wants a good seasoning in your cast iron, this link is the absolute best I have tried.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

The mistake I was making in the past is trying to season for an hour in a 350 degree oven.  This does NOT work.  I use vegetable oil and a 450 degree oven for a half hour and let it cool in the oven.  At 350, the oil will not polymerize.  at least not after an hour.

Following this seasoning process will yield a great non stick seasoning layer instantly.  Do not tolerate a year of a crappy skillet that sticks thinking you are building your seasoning.  I was making that mistake this last week with this new skillet.  It was sticking pretty bad.  Finally I cleaned and added to the existing seasoning using this method and presto, the eggs were sliding around like teflon.  I now realize that there is no need to pollish or sand your cast iron.  If anything, you end up with a thicker layer of seasoning in a rough pan that will eventually smooth out anyway.

I maintain my finish by adding a little vegetable oil to the skillet when I'm done and taking the skillet just to the smoke point and I turn the burner off.  This actually builds your seasoning.

But, try this method out yourself, maybe I'm full of bull shit.  You guys already know that though. [emoji41]
Up to 12 pieces from older ones to a few new Lodge ones. This is exactly how I season and maintain mine. Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 06:23:40 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Will has to try this.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:26 AM »

Would throwing it on the grill with possibly higher temperatures work just as well? I don't see why a temp a little greater than 450 would hurt but I'm no scientist. Last time I tried this in the oven with 350 it produced a lot of smoke. I used avacado oil which has a much higher smoke point that 350, so I'm assuming the smoke was from whatever crud that was built up on the skillet.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »

Would throwing it on the grill with possibly higher temperatures work just as well? I don't see why a temp a little greater than 450 would hurt but I'm no scientist. Last time I tried this in the oven with 350 it produced a lot of smoke. I used avacado oil which has a much higher smoke point that 350, so I'm assuming the smoke was from whatever crud that was built up on the skillet.
. I picked up a lodge 12” skillet to use with my GBS grate and seasoned it on my Q220 last week and it came out great without smoking up the house.  Kept the grill on high and got 3 coats of seasoning on with no ill effects. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »

. I picked up a lodge 12” skillet to use with my GBS grate and seasoned it on my Q220 last week and it came out great without smoking up the house.  Kept the grill on high and got 3 coats of seasoning on with no ill effects. 

That’s a great deal on that lodge.

Yes the grill works great. I used the charcoal grill on the last skillet and it worked great.  It was in the 400-500 range.

The only reason I tried 350 for an hour is because that’s what lodge’s website says to do lol.

I didn’t use the grill this time because I wanted a more controlled environment to figure out what I was doing. Plus I was just being lazy and didn’t feel like firing up the grill.

MattF

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
Check out the Finex Cast Iron. I do not have one, but would like to see if the price reflects the quality.

https://finexusa.com/