Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New grate  (Read 4868 times)

G19

• WKC Brave
Re: New grate
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Looking forward to some cooking/cleaning feedback on this grate. 

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
New grate
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »
Well I tried out the new grate last night it seems to be about the same thickness as the standard side flip Weber grate not nearly as thick as the deluxe grate with removable center but it definitely was put together nicely and it is very easy to spin with a single set of tongs for cold grate searing the one problem I can see is if you want it on to sear and then want to add wood chunks for smoke or additional coals you have to really keep ahold of it to swing it up to keep it from falling off and down into the coals if your not exerting upward force once you tilt it up it falls down to remove it your better off lifting the whole grate out to add to the sns or just leave it out and spin the grill to be able to sear and spin it back to the opening to add coal or wood so anyway here are a few pics

Top grate Weber bottom grate abc

Top grate Weber deluxe bottom abc stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:14:33 PM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »
I think I'm gonna pinch my hooks to make it stay on. Falling off is a problem putting it back on.
It isn't hard at all opening and closing with it permintly attached.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
Question for you two. Knowing that it could/would fall down, can it be successfully flipped back with standard tongs while pulling upwards on the tongs?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
I'll chime in as well. Once your used to using the flip grate I don't think you'd have a problem with it falling off. Part of the appeal of this grate for me is being able to take the piece completely off while using the SnS. I don't see very many times I'd be adding more coals while both pieces are being used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 09:09:28 AM »
Part of my question was regarding the spacing between the tines. When I flip up my regular grates, the tongs sometimes get caught and then I can't get the tongs unstuck without flipping it all back down. Much hilarity ensues.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
I'll chime in as well. Once your used to using the flip grate I don't think you'd have a problem with it falling off. Part of the appeal of this grate for me is being able to take the piece completely off while using the SnS. I don't see very many times I'd be adding more coals while both pieces are being used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I agree with this.  If I didn't have this grate and was doing the cold grate reverse sear I would usually be putting on my Ove Gloves to remove the grate that is on the grill then put on another grate that is totally cold.  I've found as long as I'm paying attention I can put the removable grate on when the grill is hot without having to put my gloves on.  It's just going to take a little getting used to.  I can see where it will drive some people crazy, but if that is the case, just pinch it shut so you don't have to worry about it.

As far as my overall impression....It isn't as heavy duty as the gourmet grate, but since it is stainless steel I'm hoping it will hold up as well if not better.  It is DEFINITELY  better than the standard Weber hinged grate.  Those seem to last me about a year then need replacing.  This is mostly due to really high heat cooks, so they might last others a little better if you aren't using a vortex as much as I do.  I haven't moved any of my gourmet grates up to my new home in Denver yet, so I will be interested in see which grate I use for Vortex cooks once I have the option of the ABC grate or the gourmet grate.  I do like being able to remove the center of the gourmet grate for Vortex cooks.

I'll be doing vortex wings tonight so I will see how the ABC grate does with really high heat.  The vortex roaches the standard hinged weber grate pretty quickly.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New grate
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »
I recently acquired the gourmet grate and so far out of the gourmet grate, the flip grate and the standard plated grate, I prefer the standard plated grate for 90% of my cooking. I’ve recently gone back to using them. Also, I’ve never had to replace a grate in all of the years I’ve been cooking. Why does it seem that most people are replacing their grates with frequency? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
I recently acquired the gourmet grate and so far out of the gourmet grate, the flip grate and the standard plated grate, I prefer the standard plated grate for 90% of my cooking. I’ve recently gone back to using them. Also, I’ve never had to replace a grate in all of the years I’ve been cooking. Why does it seem that most people are replacing their grates with frequency? 

I think the main reason I blow through the standard grates or the standard (non GBS) hinged grates are because I don't oil them after extreme high temp cooks and they rust.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New grate
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
I’ve only been doing high heat cooks with baskets in the middle this year but I can tell it takes it’s toll on the grates. I imagine a vortex would be worse yet. I’ll keep the gourmet grate handy for those cooks.

Sorry for the thread drift. Carry on.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

I think the main reason I blow through the standard grates or the standard (non GBS) hinged grates are because I don't oil them after extreme high temp cooks and they rust.
I don't worry about rust other that get them hot and clean them off with my wire brush.
If I get a little, I consider it a little iron my body needs.
Been doing it this way for 40+ years.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »

It's not just rust.  I think before I got my Kettlepizza prograte, maybe using them for Kettle Pizza cooks at really high heat with a heavy stone on them caused some warping too.  I guess I haven't "blown" through a grate in about a year and a half now.

I don't worry about rust other that get them hot and clean them off with my wire brush.
If I get a little, I consider it a little iron my body needs.
Been doing it this way for 40+ years.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
I have two of Weber's Stainless steel flip up grates that are still in great shape so it's hard for me to justify spending $69 for this grate.  I also bought a gourmet grate for the times I use my vortex so I don't ruin my SS grates.  I own all of ABC's other products so I'm sure at some point I will get this one as well.

Wayne

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
It is a nice grate and I do like the way the bars run right up to the handle so you don’t lose stuff down the gap and I’m sure it will last a long time since it’s stainless I’ll have to see how it holds up to the weight of a turkey this thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

sjmolitor@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
How do U permanently attach the removable section on the easy spin grate? It keeps falling in There are many time I use the whole grate