Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke Control  (Read 2281 times)

jmccloskey659

• Happy Cooker
Smoke Control
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Recently switched from Weber gas grill to Weber charcoal kettle.  Love the charcoal smell (that's real grilling!!).   Just wondering if there's a way to control the amount of smoke infused in a steak or burger.  Currently use the reverse sear method for both steaks and burgers, however the smoke flavor at times is a little much.  Would adjustments to the upper vent of the kettle work?  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoke Control
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
I’m not sure I’m totally understanding this question because any coal, whether brows or lump won’t produce a lot of smoke when ashes over. Are you using wood? What coals are you using? How are you setting your vents? That may be something. If the vents are closed down to much, the fire will be starving for air and will produce an acrid, White chugging smoke.
Let’s hear some further comments and maybe some more explanation from you and see if we can’t nail it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
Also, searing doesn't produce smoke flavor in the traditional sense of smoking wood while cooking. Searing is just crazy hot, direct heat for the purposes of creating a "crust" or whatever on meat. The smoke that results is far different from smoked wood. Searing burns animal fat and deposits it back on the meat. That's it's "smoke."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
And like Travis said, when charcoal is completely ashed over (white) it won't appreciably smoke. You can bake a cake in a charcoal Weber and it won't taste or smell like smoke when done.

When grilling, wait until coals are fully lit before committing food to grate. Wait until there's zero white smoke coming from the charcoal and they've begun to flame. This is true whether you use a chimney starter (fastest) or a pile of Matchlight briqs.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Smoke Control
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
We need to know your process start to finish to cook a burger or steak to better help. For instance here is mine:

Start coals in chimney
Prep meat and sides
When coals are almost fully ashed dump in the baskets or SnS
Lid on all vents wide open
Get the steak and put it on indirect
At 115-120 IT I start searing over the coals with the lid off

Let us know what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
My guess they may be talking about added wood chunks or chips. If this is the case...
To control the amount of smoke flavor on your meat you would limit the amount of wood.
Add just a little at the beginning of the cook while the meat is still wet for more smoke because the smoke is attracted to the moisture. Maybe just a few chips for fast cooks and maybe one chunk or two for longer slower cooks. No need to have wood smoking for the entire time the meat is on the grill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 03:00:58 AM »
We need to know your process start to finish to cook a burger or steak to better help. For instance here is mine:

Start coals in chimney
Prep meat and sides

Let us know what you do.

...when I cook chicken pieces (breast, legs and thighs), I never have all my vents fully open as I find the briquettes will burn too quickly and far too hot (the temp needle on my Weber MT goes off the scale?!)

I tend to have the bottom vent at least half way closed and the same with the top vent. I then use the top vent to make small adjustments (whilst preheating the grill) until I see the temperature gauge stay at a constant 220C - 250C, before then putting in the chicken to cook.

Am I doing this right (should all the vents be fully open to get a hotter kettle)?!

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 04:37:14 AM »
I always have my top vent 1/2 open. And adjust temp with my lower vent. Usually open just a crack. About 1/4 inch give or take depending on what temp i want. Usually 250-300 degrees for most cooks. 225 and 325 will probably be your must popular degrees wanted.
Unless your wanting a hot fast fire for something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:39:27 AM by Joetee »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoke Control
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

Start coals in chimney
Prep meat and sides

Let us know what you do.

...when I cook chicken pieces (breast, legs and thighs), I never have all my vents fully open as I find the briquettes will burn too quickly and far too hot (the temp needle on my Weber MT goes off the scale?!)

I tend to have the bottom vent at least half way closed and the same with the top vent. I then use the top vent to make small adjustments (whilst preheating the grill) until I see the temperature gauge stay at a constant 220C - 250C, before then putting in the chicken to cook.

Am I doing this right (should all the vents be fully open to get a hotter kettle)?!

All vents wide open and a full lit chimney if cooking chicken parts or steak indirect.  Don't worry what the kettle temp is. Just concern your self with the internal temp of meat.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:31:20 PM by HoosierKettle »

jmccloskey659

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
A lot of great advice here; thanks all.  Believe my problem is placing the food on the grate prior to the charcoal completely ashing over.  I'll correct this going forward.  Additionally, I think my vents are too closed creating the smoke that Travis mentioned.  I only do this to keep the temp at around 225 degrees.  However, as HoosierKettle points out, the IT of the meat is what really matters.  I'll make the recommended adjustments.  Thanks again all!!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
Practice cooking directly over coals as well. Especially burgers and steaks.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
I seem to be the only one who still sears my steak and then moves indirect to reach desired IT... It works for me...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »

I seem to be the only one who still sears my steak and then moves indirect to reach desired IT... It works for me...

I know someone else who does this also.

@Schaefd2

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoke Control
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:11 AM »

I do both and both work great. Generally, I'll cook anything less than 1" direct or sear first. Thicker cuts I'll reverse sear if I'm using smoke wood or sear first if not.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:30:59 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »

You're not alone Craig!

My method has always been wide open top vent, adjust with the bottom vent, and keep turning the lid 90 degrees.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.