Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: mod help needed  (Read 6999 times)

Troy

• Statesman
mod help needed
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
I love cooking on vintage kettles in my videos, but they're so lowwwww.
By the end of the cook my back is dead from hunching over the grill.

I thought about a long leg mod to raise the height, but I'd prefer to keep these kettles original and have a temporary (and classy) way to raise the height.
Having the grill higher would also allow me to be more flexible with camera angles and lenses.

I need something that looks nicer than cinder blocks. I have to be able to hide it, or make it look nice enough to stay visible.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
mod help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »
Looking at your videos, all your cookers are on a concrete pad, correct?
What about pouring a "stamped" elevated pad off your existing one. Stamped is where they make designs in the concrete to give it a unique finish like either stone or whatever you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
mod help needed
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 02:58:16 AM »
I would either add to the existing legs or cut new legs out of 1" aluminum tubing. I think it would be pretty easy other than having to add a piece of steel rod to the triangle to reach the front leg, or moving triangle up on new legs and using bolts and nuts to hold the wheels on instead of triangle. If I wasn't 5' 9" I might have already tried this but being short it hasn't bothered me enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:12:23 AM by HoosierKettle »

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: mod help needed
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:47:02 AM »
What about building a basic platform with casters that would raise the grill 4-5” and allow you to move the grill at the same time? The platform would store away easily and you can put any grill you want on it. You can of course make the platform as nice as you want, depending on how much you are looking to spend on it.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:30:42 AM »
Well?  There are many options.  I would suspect you want to keep the look the same and not take things apart etc..  Simple.

If you or someone can fabricate a platform, even out of old pallets, you can create a "deck" of any size you wish and just get the grill up there.  With the old pallets, less $ investment while not worrying about what happens to the wood.  it can look rustic and you can have it stained/painted/treated in whatever color you wish as well.  Often they are heavier oak which would also provide strength.

Hmmmm
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
Get longer tongs.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
Drywall stilts.   Or some maybe some cool platform boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »
Like the others, the practical way to temporarily raise height is to use a platform. Getcha that, and a ramp and drive the grill up for the videos. Drive it back down and store the ramp when done. No, wait! Knee pads. Work on your knees, that's all you need.

Just finished another leg mod on a 26 here. Bowl height is now about perfect for me, at like 36-37 inches from ground. For me, in my situation, that's the most practical way.

OR:

Take advantage of low grill height by leaving it alone, and shooting shorter segments/shorter intervals and focus on the direct actions you're doing when AT the grill. The rest of the camera time is in the kitchen or standing at normal stance outside with camera not also trying to capture the grill + you doing something. More editing, but that is mitigated with decent software and good scripting to economize whatever it is you're trying to convey.

Full disclosure: I can't yet watch the roasted salsa video because I can't devote 20 mins to a grilling video regardless of what I'd learn from it. My brain's not wired to think grilling info should take that long to convey.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
No, wait! Knee pads. Work on your knees, that's all you need.

This! Midget-mod all of those sweet f*ckin' grills. @zavod44 and @Craig can surely give you some tips on that.... yup, yup....
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
Quit complaining and just get the longer legs for the videos. No one is going to notice or at least care and you'll be soo much more comfortable.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Hey Troy,
Longer legs brings the problem of axle length and legs spreading out at the leg bottom. In other words... you would need a triangle from a 26” for longer legs on a 22”

I think the best idea would be a quick and dirty Mini Deck on wheels!
Long enough to put a 26” next to a performer .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

Dig a recessed area in the lawn to stand in, just off the patio. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »
Quit complaining and just get the longer legs for the videos. No one is going to notice or at least care and you'll be soo much more comfortable.  :)

I'm shooting video every 3 days or so - i don't want to be switching legs.

I think I'm going to try to build something myself. Scary.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
@Troy idea #1 measure the outside diameter of the leg sockets, get steel pipe that will snugly fit over the outside of the leg use desired leanght to achieve the high you want install pin to rest on original leg / leg extension. Idea  #2 use 1 inch piping with a flaired end insert tab  A into slot B