Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex, slow n sear, or WSM wheel kit  (Read 2285 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Vortex, slow n sear, or WSM wheel kit
« on: September 26, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
Can't decide on what I want, got some cash for my birthday and want a new accessory. So either of those options or anything else you guys can think of?
Vortex - I make damn good wings already with Weber baskets or banked on the wall with fire bricks. Not sure It would get much use.
Slow n sear - I have not heard one bad review. Would definitely get used if it works as good as people say it does. They say 8 hours on one load at 225, wonder how long Weber charcoal would get. Definitely would get the plus model with built in grate. Could probably use it in the WSM.
WSM wheel kit - I now keep my WSM in the garage and bring it out to the driveway when using it. Wheels would make it a lot easier to pull out. I know CB stuff is top quality. https://www.cajunbandit.com/Wheel-Kit-With-Cylinder-Lock-Kit-Fits-22-5-WSM-p/22wcl.htm

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Especially if you have experience with these or any other accessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex, slow n sear, or WSM wheel kit
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
Buy the SnS

+

Buy a furniture dolly ($15-$20) to mount the WSM to. Cheap & more stable than wheel kits.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
That's the way I am leaning, just want to hear others opinions.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
I love my SnS, longest time was 9 hours with Stubbs. Can't wait to try the Weber fuel in it. Got the plus model. It is also a great searing machine. Can't go wrong with the SnS.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
Love my SnS+!   Love the bottom grate but it does need a stir on hotter cooks like chicken but contains smaller charcoal bits longer.  I would like the griddle pan as well but a big Sams Club roll of AL foil works good and no clean up. It will last a lifetime.

+1 for a good furniture dolly. 

You can always use Weber baskets together in the center of the grate for wing cooks to mimic the Vortex.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »
I have a Vortex and "large 56mpg basket" (a SNS lite) that I use routinely in my 26.75"

Do you need any of those? Probably not. You make great wings already with baskets? Skip the Vortex then. I use mine quite a bit for cooks instead of two baskets put together, banked, etc. I have used the Vortex more recently than the "large basket." I will say it is growing on me.

I'd probably say the SNS, but the reason I haven't dropped money on one is because I have two WSM's. If I want to go low and slow I use that. I could use the kettle that way, but really need to.

Personally, I'd go with a dolly or skip wheels for the WSM all together. Unless you have a really large yard and it has a good portion of smooth concrete, then skip it. You'll end up picking it up anyway...which really defeats the point of casters.

Anything else you're considering? Do you have a good thermometer?

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »
I am not thinking of anything else. I have a great thermometer. Aquatuff 351.
It was a gift from a friend who is a chef. I would never spend $250 on a thermometer.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
The move is to keep an eye on craigslist for someone selling their STOK kettle for 20-$30bucks.  The charcoal holder is shaped just like a vortex and the cast iron grates are sweet.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:49 AM »
Vortex in Fanwood, NJ on Facebook for $25 (STOK grill). AND, you get a cast iron grate!  Who knew?!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »

The move is to keep an eye on craigslist for someone selling their STOK kettle for 20-$30bucks.  The charcoal holder is shaped just like a vortex and the cast iron grates are sweet.

This. I think I missed out on a sweet local STOK deal.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
Interesting CB Wheel Kit. I chose to put a 4" locking swivel caster on the bottom of each leg of my 22" WSM. I got the casters at Harbor Freight and a handful of stainless washers and nylock nuts from a local hardware store. The total was about $20, and I'm very satisfied with the results. That's a nice kit CB put together, but it's more money that you need to spend to get wheels under a WSM.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
No wheels for now. SNS+ getting delivered tomorrow, vortex can wait. Either continue using the Weber baskets, my fire brick method or now the SNS. Can't wait to break it in.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
Good call, @iCARRY.  I've already got both the Vortex and SnS.  I use the SnS waaaaaay more than the Vortex.

Looking forward to getting the wheel kit now.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna