Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Fatty recipes?  (Read 2260 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Best Fatty recipes?
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:04:05 PM »
I made my first fatties a couple weeks ago. Used @SteveMBH recipe he was kind enough to send me after i tried his at the meet up. It's gonna be hard to beat and maybe he'll post the details but i figured I'd do another one of his and try something different for the other one. a couple shots from last time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Best Fatty recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
I made my first fatties a couple weeks ago. Used @SteveMBH recipe he was kind enough to send me after i tried his at the meet up. It's gonna be hard to beat and maybe he'll post the details but i figured I'd do another one of his and try something different for the other one. a couple shots from last time.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »

Pork loin, raspberry, oranges, habenero, and smoked sausage. Next time no oranges...they where kinda bitter

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »

Pork loin, raspberry, oranges, habenero, and smoked sausage. Next time no oranges...they where kinda bitter

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 02:42:41 AM »
Looks like your came out great @mkrause !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 05:05:12 AM »
@bbqking01 never thought to use pork loin in place of sausage! That looks awesome!

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 05:10:21 AM »
Looks like your came out great @mkrause !

They were a big hit! My wife, daughter, and myself ate one for dinner and i brought the other to work and shared for lunch. That boubon brown sugar glaze really set it off. I couldn't find the bacon you recommended and i could see that it would've made it easier for the weave. 

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 05:33:18 AM »
Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
Good lookin' wrap ups there folks....one I keep going back to is this:

Pastrami & Swiss, cream cheese " Deli Fattie"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
All those fatties look amazing!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
Didn't take any pictures of the process (too messy)  but ended up doing one with mild Italian sausage, mozzarella, crumbled goat cheese, roasted red peppers, and spinach with a herb and garlic seasoning and the other with breakfast sausage, ham, cheddar, green pepper, onion and mushroom seasoned with weber rub.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
wasn't a huge fan of the italian sausage one. The other one i used the breakfast sausage, i liked it better but i think I'll just stick with SteveMBH's recipe and use the brown sugar bourbon glaze next time.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
I think I've asked before but is there and instructional video or something that walks through making a fatty?  I have no idea where to begin making the bacon wrap like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:22 AM »
I think I've asked before but is there and instructional video or something that walks through making a fatty?  I have no idea where to begin making the bacon wrap like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's lots of videos online, sometimes referred to as a "bacon explosion" @SteveMBH instructions he sent me were really good. I'll see if i can share them on here. Only thing i did differently, which i found online, is instead of putting a solid layer of bacon down to weave the other pieces through, i use half as much for the first layer. So if you lay 10 strips down, side by side, i remove every other one and then weave the other strips the opposite direction.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:43:52 AM »
Will be a few messages probably.

Ingredients:
1 lb bacon - thick cut.  Try to find Alice's that are straight and not jagged.
1lb (tube) - Tennessee pride mild sausage
< 1/2 pkg shredded cheese (any) I used Kroger Queso.
1/4 red pepper (or any pepper)
1 Serrano
1/2 cup bourbon / whiskey
1/2 cup brown sugar

Weave bacon on aluminum foil.  Note not every piece needs to be used.

Oil a 1 gallon ziploc bag.  (I use Costco canola spray)
Empty sausage tube into gallon bag.  Roll to a consistent thickness.  Tear open bag.

Cut red pepper into slices.  Place on sausage in all the same direction for rolling purposes.  Add Serrano.

Add cheese but don't go overboard. You want it to seal and not leak out.

Use bag to help roll the sausage.

Place sausage seam onto middle of bacon weave.  Use aluminum foil to help move weave onto roll.

Heat the bourbon up until almost a boil.  Add brown sugar.  Stir until dissolved.  Cook alcohol out of it.

Cook indirect medium until middle is 150 then coat with brown sugar glaze.  Finish to 160 internal temp.I should have added to hit the bacon with some rub if you want.  It's not required though!  The glaze will also make a mess of your grill if you use too much and don't use a drip pan...

Courtesy of steve [emoji121]

I should add too that i assembled on a sheet of saran wrap and then once together, i wrap it tight and twist the ends to make it easy to form it up a little, then put it in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes to stiffen it up before i transfer to the grill or smoker. (This was also something i read online)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:55:26 AM by Mkrause »