Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Target Deal  (Read 2353 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Target Deal
« on: September 21, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
I spent the last 2 weeks on vacation here in the Detroit area helping a VERY good friend work on his house doing all the tiles in his bathroom and we were talking weber grills.. he said he wanted one so I hit 6 target stores until I could grab the last JJ in s.e. Mich for $29.99 :-)

I gave it to him and he is happy as hell !!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:40:14 PM by vwengguy »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Target Deal
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
That's awesome. I got my JJ, also on annual clearance, at Target in 2013. I've given away or helped friends and family get Webers and it's a grate feeling when they say it's changed how they cook now.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
Great deal and what a good friend you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:31:33 AM »
New tile installed and a free Weber...  You are hired!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:37:32 AM »
was the JJ recently reintroduced?  (as in the last 10 years?)
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:24 AM »

In 2013

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/jumbo-joe-charcoal-grill

This one has a more shallow kettle compared to the early JJ (and regular 18s) but now takes regular 18 cook grates etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Target Deal
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Here is a shot of my wife as she was setting up the shower tiles.

Came out nice if I say so myself.

I learned a good lesson on this trip..
Always double check flight times when booking.  I'm now sitting at the airport with a 14 hour lay-over and then 8 more hours of flying :-(
Thank god for free wifi !
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:31:48 AM by vwengguy »

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »

In 2013

This one has a more shallow kettle compared to the early JJ (and regular 18s) but now takes regular 18 cook grates etc.

Amazing.. When I was there Erich Schlosser and I commented many times about its popularity and that they should reintroduce it.  As I've said before, it looks like the 51% company sale did everyone some good.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »

In 2013

HA!  I like how they adapted my clips that hold the smoker to position the ash catcher.  Clever stuff!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »
Seeing as my friend does not grill with charcoal and wants to start (he does have an older weber genesis grill) and I'm in The Netherlands and he is in Detroit and I have my JJ ... I figured this would be a great size to give him long distance help with.
And I am a fan of my pimped out JJ ;-)
And a sale is a sale! In Europe I had to pay $120 for mine :-(  but to me it is worth every penny!

No they don't come like this here in Europe !

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
Here is a shot of my wife as she was setting up the shower tiles.

Came out nice if I say so myself.

I learned a good lesson on this trip..
Always double check flight times when booking.  I'm now sitting at the airport with a 14 hour lay-over and then 8 more hours of flying :-(
Thank god for free wifi !
Have a safe trip back❕

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
Thanks !

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:03 AM »
HA!  I like how they adapted my clips that hold the smoker to position the ash catcher.  Clever stuff!

It is, and the ash tray won't fall out during transport. Also, it will barely come out, for emptying the ash. I removed mine once and looked for another solution. You can see what kind of pressure it's under. It's now bent.

I use a small pan that can be more easily finagled outta there.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
... No they don't come like this here in Europe !

I always thought the GBS grate system made more sense on the 18, as a dedicated cooker for whatever was in the center. Would really dig having that for mine.

When I got my JJ in 2013 it was my first all-new Weber I'd bought for myself. My pimpage consists of zavod44 handle, Tru-Temp thermometer in a Weber bezel, the "lid damper handle" (plastic thing on top vent), and some SS hardware below, including a bolt/nut to adjust the bottom vent, which I found nearly impossible to move otherwise if reasonably tightened.

I think I like it better than my regular size 18, although both always surprise me with what they can do.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
I do the exact same thing. I picked up a small steel / enamel kind of pie pan looking thing and slide it under to catch the ash.
About softball size thingy with little handles.