Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cajun Bandit Door for WSM. Do I need their latch?  (Read 4840 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Cajun Bandit Door for WSM. Do I need their latch?
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
Wondering if anyone here has had experience with this.  I'm considering buying a Cajun Bandit door for my 22" WSM, but I see they sell two versions.  One with the round hold that can be used with the original latch, and one with a square hole and their "premium" latch.  The one with the latch costs an extra $21.  I'm just wondering if I could go with the one that uses the original latch, or would I be kicking myself for not getting the door and latch.

Any thoughts?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cajun Bandit Door for WSM. Do I need their latch?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
Yes. And I only read the title. The door and latch is money well spent.  The latch provides a perfect fit and is adjustable to fine tune tightness to perfection

Also the cb latch is a compression latch if you didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:53:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cajun Bandit Door for WSM. Do I need their latch?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
^^^^^^ What he said.

Yes, you'll be kicking yourself.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »
The stock Weber latch will eventually fail
The threaded ferrule in the handle is easily stripped out when retrofitting the CB door. There is only a couple threads left with the new door on, it's not the threads that strip, but the ferrule pressed into the handle.

I've had 3 fail and it's always happened during cooks

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
I kept my original latch. It failed right away. I fixed it by loading up the treads with JB Weld. It's held strong since. I do have a backup latch though. Wish I got the compression latch from CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
Get the latch.  It is awesome.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
Get the CB compression latch. I have 2 WSMs. One has the CB latch and door; the other is stock. They both work, but if you're going to buy the door, get the latch. You'll love it.

MeanMisterMustardCap

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
I just purchased and installed the CB door / latch kit last weekend before smoking two pork butts on my WSM 22. I think the upgrade in component quality is worth the money and would definitely recommend picking up both the door and latch together.

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:15:52 AM »
Sounds unanimous. Looks like I need the latch. Thanks everyone.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
You need the latch...

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
You definitely need the latch

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
Took everyone's advice and got the latch too. Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely the right move. [emoji106]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »
You will be glad u got the latch with the door.Love mine

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
I purchased the door with latch. The thick SS CB door gets a lot hotter than the original aluminum door. The latch also seems to be made of  cast aluminum and gets pretty hot as well. I have had to tighten the lock nut up a few times even though it has a lock washer on it. My theory is that the heat up and cool down cycles work the lock nut loose over time.

The CB door seals better than the original weber door but it is still not a perfect seal. Weber sent me a replacement door because mine leaked so badly. But after a couple of cooks, the Weber replacement leaked pretty badly too. You can see the smoke stains/pattern on the other side of the door. I still get some smoke leaking out of the door around the curved area of the cutout and to the right side of the latch. When the WSM is hot, I use gloves now when opening the door. Did not have to before.

My video review is here....

https://youtu.be/KFCyLivM5Ss
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »

I purchased the door with latch. The thick SS CB door gets a lot hotter than the original aluminum door. The latch also seems to be made of  cast aluminum and gets pretty hot as well. I have had to tighten the lock nut up a few times even though it has a lock washer on it. My theory is that the heat up and cool down cycles work the lock nut loose over time.

The CB door seals better than the original weber door but it is still not a perfect seal. Weber sent me a replacement door because mine leaked so badly. But after a couple of cooks, the Weber replacement leaked pretty badly too. You can see the smoke stains/pattern on the other side of the door. I still get some smoke leaking out of the door around the curved area of the cutout and to the right side of the latch. When the WSM is hot, I use gloves now when opening the door. Did not have to before.

My video review is here....

https://youtu.be/KFCyLivM5Ss

It's not a perfect seal. But the door is a whole lot better than stock. When I get my smoke going I get a few wisps of smoke from around the door, but not much. I have found that the door helps keep the overall temps much steadier than the stock one.