Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Old style One-Touch Gold Ash catcher bar  (Read 21993 times)

Tom C

• WKC Brave
Re: DIY Old style One-Touch Gold Ash catcher bar
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
DIY Stainless support bar with a used 7409 from a trashed 22.5 OTS that I bought for $5 to use the lid for a UDS.

Old

Reused

New

Tom C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
BTW it works great :D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »
Good work, Tom. I'm surprised you were able to reinstall the same ashcatcher!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »
Nice, surprised you could save it. Every time I have tried, Thumb screw snaps...

On the same subject, I have and EZ MT that I acquired. The leg holes match perfectly. I went to snap in the ring, to find the hole openings are smaller than the newer kettles. Should I just take a tin snips and reduce the tab size? This will save a 7409 sweep and the purchase of a bracket.

Thanks,
Greg

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
Greg, you have a few options:

-Reduce the tab size- I'm not sure how much you need to trim but I don't recall hearing of too many people doing this.
-Expand the slots in the socket with a dremel- probably not the best idea in MN
-Use something else like wire or hose clamps around the sockets to hold the bucket up. This can look clean if done correctly
-Cut slits in the ash catcher ring for the ash catcher bar to hold it up? I haven't heard of anyone doing this but it may be a decent option. Just make sure that the cutouts for the leg sockets are sufficient to keep it from spinning-.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Greg, you have a few options:

-Reduce the tab size- I'm not sure how much you need to trim but I don't recall hearing of too many people doing this.
-Expand the slots in the socket with a dremel- probably not the best idea in MN
-Use something else like wire or hose clamps around the sockets to hold the bucket up. This can look clean if done correctly
-Cut slits in the ash catcher ring for the ash catcher bar to hold it up? I haven't heard of anyone doing this but it may be a decent option. Just make sure that the cutouts for the leg sockets are sufficient to keep it from spinning-.

Thanks PBE! I am thinking of just making a slight angle cut on all the tabs. They currently go in a little bit, but a tight squeeze. Trying to stay away from a ash catcher bar, that would use up a very valuable 7409 sweep.