Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Old style One-Touch Gold Ash catcher bar  (Read 21985 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: DIY Old style One-Touch Gold Ash catcher bar
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
My apologies, Lawrence!  I spoke (way) too soon.  Just came in from a decent once-over of the grill in question, and that bracket is not conducive to full functioning of the ash sweep.  It allows the vents to move from full open to full closed, but it does NOT allow the fins to move enough to sweep the ash out of the bowl.  I'm not yet sure if this is due to the shape of the bracket, or to its thickness, or both. 

Sorry for the false lead. 

Guess who's in the market for one of your aftermarket ash can brackets now, buddy?  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »
My apologies, Lawrence!  I spoke (way) too soon.  Just came in from a decent once-over of the grill in question, and that bracket is not conducive to full functioning of the ash sweep.  It allows the vents to move from full open to full closed, but it does NOT allow the fins to move enough to sweep the ash out of the bowl.  I'm not yet sure if this is due to the shape of the bracket, or to its thickness, or both. 

Sorry for the false lead. 

Guess who's in the market for one of your aftermarket ash can brackets now, buddy?  ;-)

That's interesting, Mike. Thanks for letting us know. Can you elaborate though? Does your bar impede the full range of motion on the sweep handle? It seems like it would be perfectly fine from the pic.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »

Can you use a locking setscrew collar in between the "H" to hold the ash sweeper handle in place while retaining the old style ashbar?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 09:53:52 PM »
If you are interested in this ash catcher bar, speak up in this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/okay-who-is-really-interested-one-one-of-these/

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
I finally got the time to model a new H clip. I increased the tolerances on it to fit the ashbar under the H washer. One thing that concerns me is that the Hbar handle is preloaded such that the key on the handle pops into the H. A low tolerance fit for with the ashbar may cause the collar to rub excessively on the bowl while you rotate the sweep. I'll figure out how to test this out.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:09 AM »
I finally got the time to model a new H clip. I increased the tolerances on it to fit the ashbar under the H washer. One thing that concerns me is that the Hbar handle is preloaded such that the key on the handle pops into the H. A low tolerance fit for with the ashbar may cause the collar to rub excessively on the bowl while you rotate the sweep. I'll figure out how to test this out.

PBE, your onto something here. Me and Aman(ChadA) spoke about this. The male piece legs need to be extended the amount of ash bar thickness. (I'm know engineer) drop the handle holes that amount. I bet Weber has these stamped out, then bends the legs. I don't think there will be a tolerance issue... :o

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:49 AM »
PBE, I wouldn't worry about the washer rubbing the kettle bowl. The ones I have with the new style clip installed are all very snug and rotate tightly inside the bowl. The old style ones fit fairly loose from what I can tell, and IMHO don't seal as well as the newer style, even on the newer grills without the bar to hold up the ash can.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
PBE, I wouldn't worry about the washer rubbing the kettle bowl. The ones I have with the new style clip installed are all very snug and rotate tightly inside the bowl. The old style ones fit fairly loose from what I can tell, and IMHO don't seal as well as the newer style, even on the newer grills without the bar to hold up the ash can.

PBE, your onto something here. Me and Aman(ChadA) spoke about this. The male piece legs need to be extended the amount of ash bar thickness. (I'm know engineer) drop the handle holes that amount. I bet Weber has these stamped out, then bends the legs. I don't think there will be a tolerance issue... :o

G, I think you are correct. The sweeps rub on the inside without severely damaging the surface so I won't worry about the outer collar pressing on the bowl.

Mike, I agree with you. I might actually undersize it a bit to get it to fit better.

I forgot to post the pic. Oops!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
I've been back logged on all my project updates but here is the model for the H bracket with added clearance for the old ash catcher bar.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
That's what we need. Thanks PBE! If we have that with the new bracket, WOW!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
grate work gummi

id be all over one of those
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »
Gummi, can I assume that you never built any prototypes of the extended clearance H clip, and therefore can not send me one to test?

;D

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
Did ANY get built?

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
Gummi, can I assume that you never built any prototypes of the extended clearance H clip, and therefore can not send me one to test?

;D

I didn't build any, unfortunately. But Zavod built some ash catcher bars. The other option too is to grind down the ash sweeper handle to create 40thou of clearance.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Yep, I rescued an MT for AZMikey, and then I promptly broke the ash sweeper and thumb screw on it.   (could not be avoided but still, I should have let him break his own stuff)    The support bar is rusty but I think salvageable, so I am looking in to his best option for replacements.  Given his access to tools and obvious ability to use them, I think grinding the bar and/or sweeper from an H style is the way to go.