Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First overnight  (Read 5505 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First overnight
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:43:54 PM »
All the talk of how long the wsm can go on a load of fuel had me pumped up to try an overnight cook. Pork butt was on sale so I went with that. Trying out meijer brand. Full load of weber coal and apple wood. About an hour in and the fabled inaccurate dome thermometer is reading exactly what the maverick is.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:53:10 PM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First overnight
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
This will be sooooo good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
I remember my first overnight. The nervousness, the giddy anticipation, the unrealistic expectations, the neglected meat, anticlimactic ending, the weird aftertaste, the neighborhood shame afterwards, the uncomfortable explanations later on.

Oh wait you're cooking food instead, right?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First overnight
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
[emoji667][emoji667][emoji667]Now that's some funny shit!

Enjoy that overnighter, Sean!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:59:35 AM »
Temp last night

Temp this morning.

They are at 177 internal and looking good. The wsm is working as advertised. I gave the coals a stir and time to make coffee.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:24:14 AM »
25 degree drop over night, you can't do any better.  Nice
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 04:28:56 AM »
Amazing! Great color. I really need to find a cheap wsm.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 05:21:02 AM »

My first overnight as well. There was a forecast of rain so I guided the thermo wires under the 18in (it was a free pickup) to keep it water out tight :)

I haven't tasted yet, still a couple hours to go, I just foiled it though. Started the fire at 10pm.. adjusted till temp at 11pm and put the meat on. Started at 250 and I woke up at 7 and it was hovering around there. Very happy compared to my old crappy smoker.. this is only my 2nd time using the WSM.

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First overnight
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 05:41:56 AM »
That's a great idea using the 18 to house the thermometer.  I was doing the same things at the same times you were. I was maybe 1/2 hour behind. The internal is in the 180's right now. That's a whole lot of cajun bandit door on that 22.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »

Amazing! Great color. I really need to find a cheap wsm.

I got really lucky and scored mine for 25. I added the door and thermometer which added another 75 though.

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:49:56 AM »
That's a great idea using the 18 to house the thermometer.  I was doing the same things at the same times you were. I was maybe 1/2 hour behind. The internal is in the 180's right now. That's a whole lot of cajun bandit door on that 22.

I got the WSM used on Facebook marketplace for $225. I really wanted one, as I was saving up to purchase it new for $400 a week later or so. I don't see them pop up often and this one included the CB door and charcoal ring. The guy I bought it from might even be on this site, so if you see this.. thank you!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
That's a damn good deal. I have never seen a 22 pop up in my area.

I pulled the meat and closed the vents but after 12 hours I STILL had plenty of fuel. I now understand what makes a wsm great. I will say the weber coal is great stuff. I only stirred the coals once in the morning. When I was using kbb, it needed stirred more often from ash build up

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »
That's a damn good deal. I have never seen a 22 pop up in my area.

I pulled the meat and closed the vents but after 12 hours I STILL had plenty of fuel. I now understand what makes a wsm great. I will say the weber coal is great stuff. I only stirred the coals once in the morning. When I was using kbb, it needed stirred more often from ash build up

I used the Weber coals for the first time as well.. used a whole bag actually. I never had to stir them up but there is approx 2 chimney's worth of used ash left. The vents are closed off and the meat is off and resting in a cooler with a towel right now.. it smells good! 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
I cracked the vents right after closing them to see how long it would go and to keep it going for beans and Mac and cheese later. It's going on 14.5 hours now. It's my wife's birthday.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
Great job on the first overnight cook and happy birthday to your wife!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.