Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shades of blue  (Read 2291 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Shades of blue
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 06:07:03 AM »
Among the reasons for a shift in color was the outlawing of certain chemicals (pigments) which are toxic when heated such as the yellows and reds.  That was the primary reason for the drop in colors for many years.

Once the porcelain was able to have color again (desired colors) that was when the browns, greens and that darker red began showing up again in the late 2000s.

I have a late 2000s blue gumball with this interesting lever action that raises the charcoal closer to the cooking grate.

Welcome to the Forum MDurso. Beings that you worked for Weber, was the release of toxins just in the manufacturing heating process or do the older Webers continue to release toxins in the cooking process?  Also, do you have a picture of your blue gumball?
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
You guys stop it. Hard to look at those beauties that you can't get anymore.

They are out there. You'll find yours.
Still need a 22” yellow

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
@Craig you might like this
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
Great looking lineup!  Really interesting to see the color shift through the years.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Really love the Blue's!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
Among the reasons for a shift in color was the outlawing of certain chemicals (pigments) which are toxic when heated such as the yellows and reds.  That was the primary reason for the drop in colors for many years.

That's interesting. My understanding was that the issue was always about disposal of the residue after enameling. The blues, yellows & reds used different cadmium salts to produce the colours. It was the disposal of those that was the issue.

Are you saying that our blue, yellow or red kettles are toxic if used?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »

@Darko - I sent MDurso a PM just now, asking for clarification. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »

I have a late 2000s blue gumball with this interesting lever action that raises the charcoal closer to the cooking grate.
Cool, I'd love to see this lever action in pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
Yes. They are toxic when cooking. But good news is I will accept any unwanted toxic colored kettles. Pm me for address

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 07:26:36 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the questions.  I set up the imgur account yesterday and need to migrate some of the stuff from photobucket, etc to the more friendly host service.

In regards to the color and toxicity, Proposition 65.  Lead, cadmium, other metals used to pigment and assist with the porcelain enamel finish were outlawed due to handling and use during the manufacturing process and some follow on.

Now your house may have lead paint and your kids school may have asbestos here and there.  But as long as it's encased and not disturbed, you should be alright.

I don't recall any "hard evidence" to not using a vintage grill for outright cooking.  Maybe some fumes are toxic, but how much?  You may not want to scratch at it or eat or lick the finish any more than a vintage car or your childhood bedroom from 1956.  I haven't used the red gumball in years and years.

Remember that grilling in itself is packed with carcinogens.  I read where you shouldn't cook with aluminum foil, but once or three times a week I ball up some green peppers and onions and toss them on the grate.  I have a brass fitting on the end of my garden hose and when I'm done rinsing the lawn mower, I take a drink.

I don't feel I'm really answering the question with FACT other than it was definitely present in manufacturing.  And the Stephens family seemed annoyed they had to drop some successful colors and options..
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »

Thanks for the clarification @MDurso

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »

Thanks for the clarification @MDurso .
I could see where I may have caused an alarming reaction.  If there were hard evidence, it's be well known with some class action lawsuits.  Who's in?   ;D

I think this just makes the case for putting all the colors you have into regular rotation!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
I'd think if it was the case Weber would have a buy back program to rid the world of the old grills and destroy them. Everyone get your 5lb sledge ready and start scraping 

Kidding. I'll cook on my redheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »
Here's my unremarkable blue gumball.

While at Weber, I sat right next to Bob Stephen (1 of 6 sons of 12 kids of George Stephen).  It was right outside our office and mentioned I didn't have a kettle.  He gave me this as a gift and loaded it into my car.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Argh!!!  It's not really laying on the ground!!