Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook question  (Read 1640 times)

Gutsit

• Smokey Joe
First cook question
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »
Hi All,

I finally got a second hand kettle ,and ready to go.
Would one full charcoal basket on one side and meat on other side be ok for a low and slow Pork shoulder.
Do I add about 6 briquettes to the tray every hour to maintain the temp ?.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Gutsit.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Howdy from sunny California!!!

You could try out a snake or chain setup like so:

Stack  about 2-3 wide & two high, then add a few wood pieces every so often...

Lite one end with about 6-8 beads & let it burn like a fuse.....start with bottom vents maybe half (or a little less) open, top vent all open to get a good clean exhaust......

Take your temp at grate level, near the meat, but not right over the burn area....

I go for about 260 ~ 275 F (don't know Celcius!) & it takes from 8~10 hours usually, for a fairly large piece....8~10 lbs. (don't know Kg. !!)

This is a really easy, almost foolproof way to run a Kettle......just check every few hours to make sure you're burn's moving along....

& check for a really easy probe tender (skewer, icepick, etc,) late in the game.....

If it's bone-in, check for the bone to wiggle free.....

It's really is pretty easy work....these six ran all nite by themselves....

Have fun & check back in with other questions / observations, etc.

Oh...and wrap in tinfoil & an old towel & rest it at the end....that really helps it tenderize & come out better....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
@gutsit  Hello and welcome.
Listen to what @1buckie has to say here. He knows what he's talking about. He has helped many of us along. Let us know how it goes, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:02:51 AM »
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Gutsit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks Guys ,
It looks like the snake method is better than just using one basket on the side.
Do I put foil on the charcoal grate in the middle of the chain.

cheers.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Thanks Guys ,
It looks like the snake method is better than just using one basket on the side.
Do I put foil on the charcoal grate in the middle of the chain.

cheers.

@Gutsit , it is not really necessary to put foil there, although some do, to prevent the fat drippings from mixing with the ash and making goo in your kettle and ash pan.  i like to put a drip pan under the butt, with water in there, in order to keep some moisture in the cooking environment....this will also keep the drippings from getting all over the bottom of the kettle and ash pan.  but you can go without and be fine.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
nice write up and good advice @1buckie
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »
heh... I remember at Weber when they would say "be careful about not getting any charcoal next to the actual bowl.  It'll heat and crack off the porcelain."

Me:  "Don't we will the charcoal ring on the smoker?"
</crickets>

Cracks me up all the time...

There are a lot of good methods and you'll try them and adapt them all and create your own best method.  The @1buckle method is a really good starting point.

Remember cooking low and slow that even the sun can contribute a bit of heat to maintain the temps.

Also Radio Birdman and the Gurus are good cook companions along with a cold beverage of choice.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Gutsit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
Thanks Guys,
I am going with the snake method that 1buckie suggested.I found a old stainless steel wok in the garage,do you think that would be a good water pan/drip tray to use ? I can place the charcoal around the outside and because the wok is round it seems to fit better in the kettle.

MDurso, I don't know what Radio Birdman or The Gurus is! But I am very familiar with a cold beverage  ;D.

cheers,
Gutsit.