Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My grail and score of a lifetime!  (Read 9887 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
My grail and score of a lifetime!
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
I still can’t believe I scored this 1956 Weber Bros Metal Wks Kettle!  I’ve been in a bit of a slump and was just thinking about how I have not been able to find any decent scores lately and then this! Here’s the story:  on Friday eve a good friend of mine, who installs garage doors for a living, sent me a picture of this kettle he saw in a garage at his job site and said the lady was interested in selling it. After I was able to catch my breath from seeing the picture, I contacted the lady and told her I was interested. She asked if I knew how much it was worth?  I told her it is a very old grill and a collector’s item.  I said it could be worth decent money depending on the shape it’s in, I said, honestly its worth whatever someone is willing to pay and how bad they want it.  I told her I would have to look at it to decide how much I was willing to pay. We set up a meeting time for the next morning.  I was running late for my step son’s opening day high school football game or I would have already been on my way over there. I was not in too big of a hurry knowing that the kettle was hiding in her garage and not advertised.
When I arrived in the morning she immediately advised me that she had contacted Weber to see how much the kettle was worth and she also mentioned she had spent the morning searching eBay to see what she could discover.  My heart dropped and a couple bad scenarios quickly passed through my brain. Did Weber offer her big bucks? Did they tell her it was worth a million dollars? I really thought I would not be going home with it. I do have to give the lady credit for doing her home work.  Weber did tell her it is valuable and a collector’s item. They also told her whatever she decides to do with it  do not give it away for free because she may be able to get a lot of money on eBay.  I’m not sure if they gave her any figures but I do know she was not going to let it go for cheap.
It turns out she was a very nice lady and very savvy business woman.  She told me the kettle was purchased by her father in law new in 1956. When he passed  nobody but her husband would take it.  They used it a few times and it has been stored in the garage ever since.  Her husband passed away about 5 years ago and she has recently been trying to clean out the garage since he was a bit of a hoarder.  I spent about an hour with her talking about her husband, talking Weber and negotiating. Surprisingly she knew an awful lot about Weber and her research paid off.  I told her I was not leaving without the grill. We did strike a deal and both parted very happy. I told her I would send her some pictures after it was all cleaned up. So here it is: before and after. The black is not faded at all!
before1.png" border="0
before2.png" border="0
before4.png" border="0
before3.png" border="0
after8.png" border="0
after7.png" border="0
after6.png" border="0
after5.png" border="0
after4.png" border="0
after3.png" border="0
after2.png" border="0
after1.png" border="0

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:48:13 AM by JDD »
May The Smoke Be With You!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: My grail and score of a lifetime!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
OMG, that is beautiful.  Congratulations on obtaining your grail, and agree, SCORE OF A LIFETIME!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
Wowwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
all sorts of awesomeness right there!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
Holy cow what a grill and story
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Fuken speechless! Calendar worthy right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
Jaw dropping beautiful, right there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Wow amazing score! It’s always great to hear the back story especially with a kettle this old. Great cleanup as well. Definitely some calendar worthy photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
That's a beauty!!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
 Holy shit!
That's fucking  beautiful.
Congrats Jim.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
OMG.. Congrats!! What a score!! It looks grate!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
After recent Ebay 's value and this being on home page of WKC, this indeed is SCORE OF LIFETIME.

Congratulations for amazing Score !!!
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Kamado_fan_UK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Absolutely awesome!!!!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
Congrats!  That's a grate score!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
WOW ... WOW ....WOW   Ok. Now you can stop looking for killer deals because your never going to top this one.
Congrats on the killer of all finds !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club