Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to bbq for beginner?  (Read 1991 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
What to bbq for beginner?
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Hey guys I love my Webers, I've had an old 18 I've been using for about 7 years my uncle gave me but now my family has expanded and needed something bigger. I picked up a 22 performer and absolutely love using this thing!!

For me I've always been burgers/dogs/steaks which is fine we all love them. I do love some good bbq ribs/pork etc. But have never made it, I think mostly because it takes a lot of time and I dont want to spend all day making a dinner that I screw up in the end [emoji35]

Anyways what would be a good beginner bbq item I could throw on the performer and have good luck? I'd like to get my feet wet so I'm more comfortable trying something like a brisket!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What to bbq for beginner?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
Don't start with brisket. Get a 7-8 pound pork butt and start there. It's pretty hard to screw up a pork butt and it will teach you to be patient. All good Q is done when it's done. Don't worry so much about the internal temperature. When the temp probe slides in and out like butter then you're eating well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
What he said, it is hard to screw up a butt, the end result is do rewarding too.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
Baby back ribs are also another good starting point. Lots of good videos out there on youtube for rubs and cooking methods with a weber kettle. I was new to it just a few years ago and I think I've done pretty well so far.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
And good recipes or techniques you can recommend? What kind of fuel, how long and what temp etc.? I'd like to try something this week and I'm heading to the butcher today.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
Amazingribs.com has some great very informative recipes. Most people use briquettes for low and slow. Depends on the size of pork butt but I would say at least 6 - 8 hours probably more.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
Definitely briquettes, get Stubbs or the new Weber charcoal if you can. Low ash will keep it burning longer. Search the forums for minion and snake methods. Lots of good results for both of those. I think an easy setup for a beginner would be a snake with a water pan in the center, light 8-10 to start the head, get the vents set to stabilize temp 250-275 and go take a nap. Keep a log or take a lot of pics along the way so you can reproduce the good things and change the not so good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
Another great, and inexpensive, option is Pepper Stout Beef, or version of it.  I normally just use Montreal Steak, KBB, and Mesquite, but this is a real easy recipe to customize to yours and your family's taste.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Do NOT start with a brisket. It's a bad choice for your first time. Pork butt. Best choice, way forgiving to mistakes. Brisket is not. Learn your new kettle, then venture on.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »
I agree - brisket is a bad choice.  Pork butt is a good choice but ribs are also good and have the additional benefit of shorter cooking time. I'm surprised no one has mentioned chicken.  Lots of ways to cook it and results can be awesome, just be sure not to overcook it. Pieces of a single type (i.e., all thighs for example) are easiest to cook because the will all cook about the same rate.  I also do a lot of salmon.  The high fat content relative to other fish types makes it a good candidate for the grill and excellent results come easy.  Cook with skin on (quick sear on the meat side followed by longer cook skin side down) and, oddly enough, a light coat of Montreal Steak seasoning before cooking actually makes an excellent, but super easy end result.  Kabobs loaded up with various veggies and either chicken or beef pieces are crowd pleasers also. A quick dunk in Italian dressing before loading on the skewers adds flavor and keeps things from sticking to the grill.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:48:06 AM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »
Go with a pork butt or try a tri-tip if you can get one.  After those try some spare ribs.  They are more forgiving than baby backs.  Watch some videos.  Try the BBQ Pit Boys and Malcolm Reed (How to do BBQ Right).  Plenty of ideas there.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:01:53 AM »
Ribs are pretty easy....even when they are overcooked (most are), they come out nicely..... they take less time than butts, and will have a wow factor for those whom you are serving.  I would start there. 

Another option is brined, whole chicken.  Soak the chicken in saltwater for 3 hrs, oil & season it, cook it indirect with a little bit of wood on top of the coals....the cook time on that is less than 1.5 hrs and it is super easy.  People will love it. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »
Another great, and inexpensive, option is Pepper Stout Beef, or version of it.  I normally just use Montreal Steak, KBB, and Mesquite, but this is a real easy recipe to customize to yours and your family's taste.

BD
Pepper Stout Beef is a good choice no matter how much experience you have.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
I'm going to smoke some ribs today, I have them in the fridge with rib rub on them now. I'm going to go grab some weber charcoal right now and I have some big chunks of apple wood to throw on the charcoal. I'm thinking about doing the snake method with a water pan in the center. How many bricks wide and high should I do for 1 rack of ribs?

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
I did a 2X2X1 set up using KBB recently, and it worked well, but Weber briquettes are much bigger, so maybe a 2X1 would be OK.  Anyone out there do a snake using Weber yet? Either way, I try to hit 275, but I don't worry of it sneaks up to 300. Like @Foster Dahlet said, ribs are fairly forgiving. What style ribs? Keep us in the loop as you go.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:07:47 AM by 56MPG »
Retired