Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: - UPDATED - Blue SS and a few questions.  (Read 4764 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Blue SS and a few questions.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 05:26:57 AM »
Hoping for the best! 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
Another thing to keepi n mind is that tanks expore after 12 years, so if its old , you aren't legally supposed to get it refilled. To get them recertified can be more than a new tank.
Just need to know this as most people wouldn't even think about that.  8)

Actually this is a big deal if your propane guy wont fill an expired tank.  My guy does not check so I am happy.   If the tanks handle does not look like a star it is the old tank (three pronged handle)  without an OPD.  Technically, the propane guys are not supposed to fill these tanks. If it has the star handle and the OPD, then it can be recertified for around 10.00.   A new little tank is 50 or 60.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »
I got there 15 minutes early and was kinda surprised there were only a few people standing in line.  The grill was on the side of the garage, so I got to see it before the doors even opened.  Walking up to it I was all excited until I saw the sticker price.  $250   :o  :o  :o

Feeling a bit dejected, I sent Mr. Stavlund a text message about the asking price.  We exchanged a few pleasantries, I continued to look it over to arm myself with knowledge, and went in to negotiate.  I asked a guy hanging around if he worked there, but he was the owner of the house.   ???   He was watching over things making sure people weren't stealing shit.    ::)  I had to talk to the cash register guy.  I asked about their asking price because we weren't even in the same ballpark.  He wanted an offer - I said 75 bucks.  He countered with a hunnert.  Meh, it needs parts so I stepped away. 

Went back into the garage where I found 4 partial bags of lump & a bag of Weber hickory smoking chips.  If they'd let me take those, I'd bite.  Went back to the register and said $100 in cash if you'd let me take the charcoal in the garage.  Sold...  I loaded up my loot and just got home. 

Pics to follow...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 06:36:45 AM »

Rock 'N' Roll !!!!   
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 06:37:23 AM »
Bman is 10 feet tall. 

(and thanks for so generously describing my profanity-laced texts as "pleasantries".) 

Can't wait for the photos, Chad!  You got a great 'get' today. 
One of the charcoal people.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 06:49:55 AM »
Way to go, I've got to go to estate sales with you, everyone I've been to looked like the Oklahoma land rush at the door. $100s not bad around here for a Performer, especially a SS in any color other than black.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »
Wooo congrats! You'll love it!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: - UPDATED - Blue SS and a few questions.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
I'm 35 years old and have a bunch of friends I met via riding motorcycles.  In one of the couples, he just retired from the Metro Washington Airport Authority Police Force and she just resigned from the county PD.  They bought a house in FL and having a retirement/going away party this evening.  I was asked if I'd make some BBQ for the party.  My first "catering gig" so yeah, why not.   I've been busy prepping pork butts and got 8 of em' on the WSM last night.  Had to make sure I was set to attend my first ever estate sale this morning.  Alarm clock was set for 6:30, but I was up waaay before then.  Headed out the door at 7 for the trip to Maryland and the sale which started at 8
Decided to take the scenic (and direct) route and cross the Potomac River via Whites Ferry.  I'm on the VA side looking at the MD side.

Quite calm this morning.

Heading down the walkway where there was a kettle of blue gold at the end, I started to  ;D

Only when I got there I went  :o  ???  ::)  :(  >:(

With the wind taken out of my sails, I started checking it out.

Meh, it ain't perfect, but being an EZ (98) and 15 years old - I didn't expect it to be.  Other than the cleaning system, it's pretty solid. 
Once I found the additional charcoal in the garage, and sealed the deal, I headed back to VA

Home.  All I've done was unload and give it 5 minutes of explaining to the wife what I got today.  Like she gives a shit, but she humored me.   :-*

The gas tank is pretty full.  The ignitor doesn't fire as is, but the gas works and I lit it with a lighter.  I'll get it rolling in the restoration.
Below the bag of Royal Oak lump in the charcoal bin was the owners manual and warranty registration card.  lol

Had to forget about the new toy as I had beans, sauce, and pork butts to tend to.  I'm down to my final hour before I need to head out and feed a bunch of LEO's
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:23:26 AM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
She's a beauty, Chad!  I still can't believe you got them to knock $150 bucks off their initial price just after they opened the doors.  You might have a second career as a Kettle Negotiator. 

I've had some success just by cleaning up those ignitors.  But if you need a new one, I believe the Weber stock # is 40826404.  They have them in stock for $9.50.  The ash sweep assembly is a bit trickier, as Weber no longer makes/stocks the 7409.  But Amazon still has a bunch, I believe.  Hope you can get a little more life out of the ash can bracket-- it looks like it is disappearing quickly. 

Nice work today!  I'm sure you'll be savoring those butts. 
One of the charcoal people.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
- UPDATED - Blue SS and a few questions.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
Congrats. Blue ss is a grail for me. Maybe not holy but real close.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
Nice score! Hope the igniter is an easy fix.