Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you cover your grill?  (Read 8311 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Do you cover your grill?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
I can't believe how many people leave 'em uncovered! As well-built as Kettles are, I still worry about rust. I religiously cover my Kettle, though I store it outside on my deck except in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Usually covered

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 05:56:54 AM »
I keep my Performer and my Genesis Gold outside and they are always covered when not in use.  The rest of them are stored in the garage uncovered.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
All covered except the SS Genesis Gasser and the faded black MBH. The black faded kettle to take in more patina and the most expensive grill I have... the gasser not covered so I can use it quickly when pressed for time.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
I've bought dozens of Webers, many near salt water. Covers make a huge difference, especially with gassers.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
Used to cover meticously...
Im over it and all get a nice suntan all year round.

All hardware.on all kettles and wsms are upgraded with 316 ss and ss grates. (Except for 14 wsm grates...anyone have a link for 14 wsm ss grates?)

The ss cb bandit roti ring sits on a performer....the reason to buy the cb ring rather than weber ring.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:42:45 PM by toolhead »
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
Grills

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
No covers.

My beauties are stored inside my garage. My workhorses are on covered patios.
My weathered warriors are...in the weather.

[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
I leave most of the ones outside covered, or at least under a roof. I usually don't buy covers (to save $), but I will keep the ones that I procure for a flip.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:00 AM »
Sorry if I offend anyone, but these grills we so cherish are becoming rarer and we therefore should be protecting them.

I cover mine and store them in the shed.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:42 AM »

2. Its harder for my wife to recognize when I've added something new to the herd. That way they all look alike. [emoji14]

THIS REASON RIGHT HERE!
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

allenb12

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
Every thing I own is kept covered when not in use.  Got tired if the cheap covers you buy.  Purchased some Weathermax 80 fabric and made one for everything.  10 year fabric warranty and does not shrink.
Spirit 320SS, SSP, 14.5 WSM, Smokey Joe, Q100, King Cooker Fryer, Blackstone 17" Griddle, propane Pizzaque.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
I remember reading good things here about this cover so I pulled the trigger and it came today. Seems heavy duty and I like the drawstring and clips at the bottom. Do they make one of these that fits an 18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Here in Eugene I usually keep my girls covered, on my open deck, year round.  During the non-rainy days, I allow my Perf to catch the sun along with my support kettle (which ever that one is for the day/week/month).

@MacEggs   Several of your photos should be submitted to the calendar photo search.  I especially like the snowball raspberry :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:59 AM »
Uncovered for over 15 years, outside on the deck, no roof, nada. I lived in the Chicagoland area and currently live in central IL.  I have a Genny with the side burner, an SSP with gas assist (gas assist not currently working) and a 18 WSM.  Other than some rust through the base of the WSM they're all in good shape.  Oh and the rails that hold the drip pan on the Genny rusted through and we had to drill out the screws and replace them. Mine are cookers, not lookers but this year for the first time I dragged them out to the lawn and gave them a bit of a scrub. These were my ex's grills and he never covered them. I've done a bit of spiffing and replacing parts this year so I'm thinking of covering them this winter, although I do grill year round.

Frankly, it's s testament to how well these pups are made that the only rust through has been in the WSM  (bottom bowl from accumulated water siting in it) and I recently fixed that with a touch of high heat silicone. I've replaced parts here and there but nothing too extreme.