Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Coffee rubbed ribeyes  (Read 2382 times)

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Coffee rubbed ribeyes
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Man , what a meal ! Mixed up a coffee rub for some thick ribeyes tonight. . Used the SnS , the cold grate sear technique, and reverse seared them. Been wanting to try a coffee rub on steak and glad I did. Pre salted the steaks for 2 hours and then rubbed with coffee rub. Used Starbucks dark French roast , brown sugar , white sugar , garlic , onion , chili powder, paprika , black pepper ,and  coriander .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Coffee rubbed ribeyes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
That looks damn good!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »
Great color! Looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Coffee rubbed ribeyes
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks guys . They were delicious. Here is the recipe if you guys want to try it. Always been on the fence because didn't want to ruin a nice steak. Glad I finally did ! Coffee rub
4 tbsp ground coffee
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp white sugar

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Sound like a good rub, thanks for the tip.  Your reverse sear looks really good. IMO no better way to cook a steak.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
Thanks!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Sound like a good rub, thanks for the tip.  Your reverse sear looks really good. IMO no better way to cook a steak.

I agree with you completely! I used to cold grate technique from ABC barbecue . Was really impressed how well it seared the whole surface .

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
I use the same technique. Those guys at ABC know their shit and the SnS is a great accessory.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:55:12 AM »
@wessonjb those look amazing I too was skeptical using coffee rub on my steak But I love it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:15:46 AM »

@wessonjb those look amazing I too was skeptical using coffee rub on my steak But I love it
I've used  Midnight espresso rub fromTango Joe but never had that coffee smell or taste .  Mixing  some more for some beef ribs tomorrow.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:49 AM »

This is the recipe I have used numerous times from Bobby Flay

YIELD1 cup
INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup ancho chile powder
1/4 cup finely ground espresso-roast coffee beans
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons chile de árbol powder or cayenne (optional)
PREPARATION

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid and mix well. Store in a cool place. Omit the chile de árbol if you want a milder rub. To use: Proceed with the master recipe, replacing the kosher salt with a coating of 1 tablespoon of spice rub on each steak, plus salt to taste. During searing, there will be a bit of smoke, but the steaks are not burning; it is just smoke from the spices in the rub. Works on all steaks but is best on strip steaks or rib-eyes
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
@wessonjb

Looks great! Nicely done! Are you telling me I need to get a SNS for my 26?"

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
Steaks look amazing! I've always been reluctant to try a coffee rub. I love drinking the stuff, but it seemed a little much to rub it on a steak or ribs. How strong is the coffee flavor on the steaks after it's cooked?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 06:37:25 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post up your cook and rub recipe @wessonjb , it looks very tasty!

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 07:00:12 AM »

Steaks look amazing! I've always been reluctant to try a coffee rub. I love drinking the stuff, but it seemed a little much to rub it on a steak or ribs. How strong is the coffee flavor on the steaks after it's cooked?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
not that strong at all. The sugar balances the bitterness of the coffee. Kinda earthy flavor that's hard to describe. Really great flavor and worth trying out.