Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18 WSM Charcoal Grate - What is Weber Thinking?  (Read 4452 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
18 WSM Charcoal Grate - What is Weber Thinking?
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
So in my hunt for a replacement charcoal grate for the 18 WSM (#63013)  I've found there are very few places that sell it and they all charge a lot ($50 on Amazon with shipping). So I figured I'd see what Weber's site sells them for, but Weber doesn't even offer it and when you search for the part number on their site it redirects you to the charcoal grate for the 18" kettle which is significantly smaller. (15.25" v 13.5").

How can Weber be selling brand new 18 WSMs and not have a replacement charcoal grate available?
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Ok .. I've been down that road before, here is what I did.
I assume your talking about the lower grate, get a cheap standard 18 grate and that can work.. with a little help from your friends.
Take the bottom bolts out from the straps and replace them with 1/4-20 size carriage bolts (flat head with the square under the head) and install these backward with the head on the inside. Get short threaded ones or cut them down to fit.
Then I used (acorn) nuts. Smooth closed nuts that the bolt does not go through. Looks better in the end.
Doing this way will give you JUST enough room to squeak a standard 18 grate down in to place .
I don't know why Weber did not do it this way?
Hope this helps you!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:36:41 AM by vwengguy »

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Re: 18 WSM Charcoal Grate - What is Weber Thinking?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
Thanks vwengguy, but I'm actually talking about the charcoal grate down in the bottom bowl.
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
Shit :-(  I read too fast. Sorry.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:43:05 AM by vwengguy »

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
Shit :-(  I read too fast. Sorry.

No prob.  ;D

kob

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »
Did you try calling customer support? They have more parts available than their website shows.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Would a charcoal grate out of a 22 fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
From a 22 kettle

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
I ordered a replacement direct from Weber a couple years ago. I don't remember how much it was but mine was completely rusted through and I needed a new one. Pretty sure you can get it from them when you call CS

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
@kob @CarrieAnn Thanks I didn't realize they had more than what they showed on the web site. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

@HoosierKettle I checked the specs and it said it was 17". From what I understand some people do use that as a beefier replacement for the lower cooking grate.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
I just called Weber and they had the 63013 WSM 18 Charcoal Grate for $35 ($25.95 + tax & shipping). Just wanted to let everyone know in case theywander by here trying to hunt one down.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:09:42 PM by AZRaptor »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »
I ordered a replacement direct from Weber a couple years ago. I don't remember how much it was but mine was completely rusted through and I needed a new one. Pretty sure you can get it from them when you call CS

But actually why do you need a new one if it's rusty? Rusty doesn't mean destroyed.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
A friend of mine bought the smoker off of me a little while back, but decided he didn't like cooking BBQ as much as he enjoyed eating it so he gave it back to me. When he was packing it up he saw the grate was "super rusty" so he just threw it away.  :'(

I would have had no issue with it being rusty, but missing is harder to work around.  :D

I might have been able to make something with expanded metal, but I'm passing it along to my brother-in-law and wanted it to be as standard as possible.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:47:15 PM by AZRaptor »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Got one of my 22" work horses doing the thing since 8 years (bought it new). The charcoal grate is f******* rusty but still no problem with it.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Got one of my 22" work horses doing the thing since 8 years (bought it new). The charcoal grate is f******* rusty but still no problem with it.
Yep. I cringed when he told me he had tossed it.