Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The "No Stall" Prime Packer Brisket  (Read 2038 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
The "No Stall" Prime Packer Brisket
« on: August 06, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
If you had a chance to check out the "7 lb Prime Packer" thread, then you know I had another brisket to cook this weekend.

10.5 lbs untrimmed.

I originally was going to start it late last night and check on it this morning. The wind gusts were enough to convince me to wait until the early morning to light the WSM.

Same routine as usual with the WSM (minion method and water in the pan). Dialed in to 250-275 and tried to get back to get some sleep. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

2 hours in I was already at 162.

At 3.5 hours I was at at 176.

I kept expecting the stall...but nothing. It rose slowly and steadily from 160-176.

Shortly after the 3.5 hour mark...I decided to wrap in paper. I wasn't originally going to, but this quick cooking brisket made me change my mind.

I replaced the probe a little more toward the center. The temp dropped to 167 and stayed there. Ok..."I'm in the stall" I thought. Now we wait. I wanted to up the temp to 290-300 to push through the stall a little more quickly so I opened the bottom vents from 1/4 to 1/3 open.

Not 10 minutes later the meat slowly starts to climb. At the 4 hour mark I was back at 170. After a quick shower, the temp was at 175 and I was off to the store. About almost an hour later my wife texts and says pit at 300, meat is 191.

Time to get home. 6 hours in I'm at 203 with a pit temp of 305. I check another spot with the probe. Same reading. I move a little more into the flat and it drops to 200. I opt to let it go for 30 more minutes.

6.5 hours the temp is correct. Now...the feel. Quite pliable. Pull and rest for 3 hours.

While I'm prepping the brisket tacos for mom's bday dinner, I thought...well I have a pit that's hot. What else can I get a jump on? Open up everything and cooked some white potatoes for smoked potato salad and possibly country fries for an upcoming breakfast.

When the potatoes were done...and all of the taco fixings were ready...I thought...man, I'd really like to serve warm restaurant style chips with this homemade salsa.

Boom! Why bother turning on the oven?

Let's get back to this brisket. Flash forward....lunch is done everything was great. Now it was time to open up the paper and cut into it.

Well ladies and gents, I present to you the 6.5 hour "no stall" USDA Prime packer brisket.

How was it? Fantastic! Home run...wow! Fat was rendered perfectly. Both the point and flat passed the pull test. I couldn't have been happier.

My dad standing near me as I cut said "Mmm...wow. I have never had anything like this. I thought it would be fall apart, like crock pot corned beef, but this literally has texture and it melts. Amazing."

My wife proclaimed: "I've had brisket in Texas that wasn't nearly half as good."

Suffice it to say this brisket didn't go quite as planned, time wise, but I'll take a shorter cook any day and it turned out great. This was the best one I've done yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:54:51 PM by Mike in Roseville »

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
Re: The "No Stall" Prime Packer Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Great write up and cook!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
Nice job! That looks fantastic. I guess 275 was hot enough to push through the stall.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:35:41 AM »
grate looking brisket, awesome story, gotta love the good family reviews
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
Looks great!
Briskets are such fickle beasts...
Looks like you nailed this one

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:59:32 AM »
Looks great and nice write up. Always a good feeling when family and friends enjoy your food. I've found that prime meat cooks faster . Done 2 prime briskets and they have cooked quicker than choice .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:50 AM »
Wow amazing cook. Looks amazing!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
Excellent job, Mike.  That looks beautiful ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna