Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Example of fire danger from a Weber kettle with hot coals  (Read 3275 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: Example of fire danger from a Weber kettle with hot coals
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:24:19 AM by cbpeck »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
I don't know, but I sense some BS here.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
^^^^^^ Sarcasm???

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »

I'm with @MrHoss and @Darko on this …. Another Psy-Op …

This will allow them to pass more legislation to control the masses …. Just sayin'.  8)

Have a nice day.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
@Cellar2ful I didn't know you live this close to me! I am in Campbell too. I happen to work for the local fire department that went to this fire, they said it was hot!! The cars in the carport got so hot that the radiant heat caught cars 25-30 feet away on fire.

All of which could have been prevented with some basic fire safety. Be safe and grill on!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
^^^^^^ Sarcasm???

BD
Not really. I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  I've tried lighting coals on bits of wood, and in every case there was never an issue of a major fire breaking out. I haven't tried every single variation possible, but this to me seems like a very highly unlikely event. I have a feeling that there may be more to this story than meets the eye.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
Not really. I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  I've tried lighting coals on bits of wood, and in every case there was never an issue of a major fire breaking out. I haven't tried every single variation possible, but this to me seems like a very highly unlikely event. I have a feeling that there may be more to this story than meets the eye.

I remember seeing the posts about trying to light coals on bits of wood..

The only thing I can think of is what else was in the car port? Was the grill placed back in an area shoved next to a stack of papers? Maybe they kept it on top of cardboard. If it was a windy day maybe the right gust hit it and took some embers into something flammable? Once something gets going.. it won't take long to get the car burning.. especially with all the plastics in them these days.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
From a news report:

"A fire cause investigator determined the blaze was accidental and was sparked by hot charcoal briquettes smoldering in a barbecue, according to count fire Capt. Bill Murphy.

“The barbecue was on top of other combustible material, and was immediately adjacent to a car and a wall,” Murphy said."

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
That's smart. "Hey honey get that barbecue out of the way".  "Alright I'll just set it up here on this stack of cardboard next to the car up against the wall".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »
@RSHU - I am actually in Castro Valley.  Since the Forum has members nation and worldwide, I was generalizing when I said it had occurred in my area.

I only posted this thread so that possibly folks will think twice when storing their recently used grill or when disposing of the ashes from their grills.  I have witnessed two incidents where neighbors of mine caused fires due to disposing of their charcoal BBQ ashes.  One was lucky, the other not so much. One incident was about 30 years ago with my then next door neighbor at my previous house.  It was about 10 PM and I saw the orange glow of a fire through my bathroom window.  I was able to alert them to the fire and we extinguished the flames with our garden hoses. His plastic garbage can and part of his wooden porch were the only damage.  The second incident was more recent and sadly the results were much worse.  A neighbor up the street from me dumped his BBQ ashes in the green recycle container.  It caught fire, traveled up the side of his house and spread to tall juniper trees on the side of his house. The fire quickly melted the plastic window frame of his atrium window and allowed the fire to enter the house. Luckily, all 5 sleeping occupants and 1 dog in the home were able to escape without injury.  His house suffered major fire, smoke and water damage ($300,000) which took over a year to repair. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"