Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Building outdoor kitchen  (Read 327 times)

ljcarr

• Happy Cooker
Building outdoor kitchen
« on: February 14, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
Good evening webbers, I’ve just recently moved house and I’m thinking of building an outdoor kitchen area for my pizza oven and weber performer kettle barbecue. The question is can I take the web of performer barbecue out of its trolley and fix it in one position in the outdoor kitchen? Or will this restrict the airflow and compromise my barbecuing.

SixZeroFour

Re: Building outdoor kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 11:48:18 AM »
Biggest issue would be safety, especially if the grill island is directly connected to your house. The reason most gas grills come with at least 10’ of hose is so you can pull it away from your home in the case of a fire emergency. Obviously in a built-in scenario you cannot do that so there are a lot more specific rules regarding installation to meet minimum code etc.

I realize many people aren’t too concerned about that, but if your house burns down due to a fire from the BBQ you can be in a world of hurt with your home insurance coverage.

Either way I would suggest using all non-combustible materials for the structure - or at very least have a metal sleeve or liner installed as extra protection. You can easily mount the bowl into a new structure but you would definitely want to leave the kettle area open and exposed for breathability.

Essentially just be smart about it! Charcoal can burn even the most experienced cook with just one tiny mistake so stay safe! I almost set my back steps on fire with a tiny piece of coal that escaped my chimney and blew back towards the house… I got extremely lucky and only had to rebuild two steps  :-X
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E