Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets  (Read 6659 times)

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
Re: Slow n sear vs charcoal baskets
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
 Tried search, but had a hard time finding @56MPG charcoal basket hack. Can someone point me in the right direction?
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Retired

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
The bigger better basket mod is absolutely fantastic I can attest to that.  I have never used the SNS but just from the YouTube channel alone I would imagine it would work better than the basket.  It is definitely on my wish list for the 26

kob

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »
I picked up a SnS a couple weeks ago. I have used it in both a 26 and 22 now and I think it the regular sized one works just fine in the 26. I haven't done low and slow with it yet, so I have some more experimenting to do. I typically cook low and slow with a snake on the 26 or I use my wsm.

The SnS xl would be worth it if you are primarily doing low and slow on the 26. Take a look at the amount of indirect cooking space with the regular sized SnS on a 26 though.

TimberbeastWaco

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm not going to need too big a push to get over the line for a slow n sear.  I'm just wondering, what is the difference between this unit and using your charcoal baskets to create a two zone cooking setup?

Thanks!!

I love mine,did 5 racks of ribs,eckard sausage, great for 80 hotdogs at one time, did a ham, and doing a 8MB brisquet,I also have the fitted sizzle pan to place on the bottom to create a convexion movement of air and smoke, it also can be used a platter and a fry pan, 3 in one,. Snr loads fuel to the bottom of the grate holding more fuel, 4th only used half. Bang pull the trigger you will love them.
Mark Waco

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
The real magic of the @56MPG  Better Basket Mod is that somehow Miracle Marty made it the *exact* size to allow two fire bricks to perfectly lean up against the straight side of it.  This offers an excellent thermal separation between the basket and the indirect side of the grill.  Until I get my SnS, this is a fantastic setup. 

Fire bricks are thinner than regular brick; they are about an inch thick.  I get mine at a local quarry/mason supply, but you might be able to find them at HD or Lowes et al.  Just a couple bucks and you are all set.   They are also excellent for raising pans of food up into the lid area for higher heat/better browning. 
One of the charcoal people.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
Agree @kob.  I originally got the SnS when they first came out and all I had was a 22.  When I bought my 26er, ABC still hadn't developed the larger unit, so I just got used to working with original.  Also like you, I love the real estate that it leaves me.

I'm hoping to scrounge up the funds for Roti and can't wait to pair it with the SnS,

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
How much coal does the regular sns hold?  Is it more than a full weber chimney?  Thanks for the comments on the sns on a 26. I would prefer to buy one and use in both the 22 and 26 if I were to get one.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 03:04:59 PM »

How much coal does the regular sns hold?  Is it more than a full weber chimney?  Thanks for the comments on the sns on a 26. I would prefer to buy one and use in both the 22 and 26 if I were to get one.

holds a little more than a chimney full . A chimney load will fill it 3/4 and that will burn forever !