Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork ribs  (Read 2231 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Pork ribs
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
I've made ribs 3 times which I think came out great like last meat ribs etc.

Problem is wife and mother in law don't like them.

I cooked them close to 225 degrees using Memphis dust rub and BBQ sauce at the end.

Well today I thought I'd change it up some to try to make them so they would like it.

I did the last meal rib recipe but I cooked them faster. Put them in at 265 and increased the temp slowly up to about 365. Cooked them for 2 1/2 hrs. My target was 350 degrees.
They actually like them this way.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is there another option that might be better?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pork ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
I'm confused by the question. Hot and fast ribs are the best imo

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
I'm confused by the question. Hot and fast ribs are the best imo

All the ribs I've done up until today, was cooked at about 225 for about 4 or 5 hrs. Wife and mother in law didn't like them.
Bumping up the temp helped out a lot.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
Perhaps it's as simple as they don't want to wait so long for your good cookin'?

8) 8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
Have you considered getting a new wife and MIL?

Not sure about the ribs you use but my babybacks would be overcooked at 2.5 hrs if done at 265-365F.  Mine come out excellent (dry rub only and not dried out) when heated at ~235F for ~2-1/4 hrs.  Mine would definitely need sauce if I cooked them at 225 for 4-5 hrs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:56:31 PM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
If nothing else has changed (rub, sauce, spritz - or whatever), then I would think that you would have to check the texture of the ribs. What do you feel when probing the ribs, and how do they look on the bend test?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
If nothing else has changed (rub, sauce, spritz - or whatever), then I would think that you would have to check the texture of the ribs. What do you feel when probing the ribs, and how do they look on the bend test?
Oh the ribs came out excellent. They just don't like the taste of the meat. They want me to boil them and bake them in the oven. I refuse to cook them that way. I'm trying to figure out how to make them like them. Of course they need all the meat creamated to well well done.
Someone earlier suggested trading them in for a new model. Yes I've considered that also. How people are afraid to try something new and better I don't know. Children I understand but not adults.

I think I'm gonna start just grilling for myself and let them fend for themselves concerning dinner.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
I feel your pain.  My wife wants no more than the merest hint of smoke and I struggle to find the balance between her taste and a nice prominent smoke ring with related smoke flavor. 

I always think boiled meat is some kind of sick commie plot hatched by those with no tastebuds or creative vision.
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
I too feel your pain. First cook on my brand new Performer, so excited to get back to charcoal cooking after decades of gas, cooked up what our daughter and I thought was some awesome country ribs and was informed that my wife doesn't like smoke flavor. Oh, what to do.
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Use mild smoke woods and only a little at the start of the cook. It's a good balance for my wife and I. Enough that you get the profile but not so much that you are eating the burnt wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:56:57 PM »
I feel your pain.  My wife wants no more than the merest hint of smoke and I struggle to find the balance between her taste and a nice prominent smoke ring with related smoke flavor. 

I always think boiled meat is some kind of sick commie plot hatched by those with no tastebuds or creative vision.
I hear ya

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
The little bit of Hickory was definitely too much for her. Will have to try something different.
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
I too feel your pain. First cook on my brand new Performer, so excited to get back to charcoal cooking after decades of gas, cooked up what our daughter and I thought was some awesome country ribs and was informed that my wife doesn't like smoke flavor. Oh, what to do.
I had to stop using hickory because they said it tastes like a camp fire. So I switched to mesquite and or apple.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
Agreed, apple wood is much milder.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pork ribs
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
Experiment with some different smoke woods. My family prefers apple, mulberry, and cherry. My neighbor has a persimmon tree that I'm anxious to get a limb and try.

Hickory is not my favorite. I try and like it but I prefer others.