Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini ranch kettle  (Read 2326 times)

whatchusmokin

• Smokey Joe
Mini ranch kettle
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
So, I recently scored a new 26 OTG on an auction, and upon smacking it together, (which i did immediately), I experienced great joy and mild irritation. For such a mean grill, it is quite effeminated by the way it shudders and wiggles at the slightest hint of movement. The obvious solution was to build another wooden cart to hold the bowl and do away with the legs altogether, but the one I made for a standard kettle already takes up valuable garage space, and for some reason my dad insists on parking there in the winter. So I hit the books looking for a solution and found pics of the "mini ranch kettle" made by several members, (Dustin Flavell, Stu G, Steve Porter, sorry if I missed someone). When I saw pictures of such a magnificent beast I had to have one, but being a new grill, the idea of drilling it is harrowing to say the least. So today while I was stuck in a boring lecture about European art history (at least thats what I think it was about...) I found myself drawing up plans for a new design that would alleviate the need to put extra holes in my grill, while at the same time solving the issue of the four legs being forced outward by the weight of the kettle. Heres what I came up with. (Ignore my chickenscratch notes, greeko-roman architecture doesn't really pique my interest :P)

The design revolves around a steel ring that matches the OD of the kettle under the lip, so it will seat snugly. There will also need to be a cutout for the handle of the grill. What I'm struggling with is how to bend a strip of steel I to a perfect ring, and what gauge of steel to use as well as where to get it. Any of you guys have ideas or see any problems with the design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
" I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds" -Unknown

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Mini ranch kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »
sounds like a plan.

have a steel band fabricated and either spot weld it to the frame or use some flat head bolts on the inside of the band.

get over drilling into a kettle. Measure a dozen times and cut once.

If I ever get my hands on a 26" Redhead its gonna get dropped into that frame in heartbeat!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:43:41 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »
Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
Yeah that is a pretty cool setup no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

rockyruggiero@comcast.net

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
I LOVE your mini ranch set up.   I live in Naperville Illinois and MUST have it!!!   Can I pay you to make me one?  Or, do you know of anyone I could purchase it from?  That is just so smart.  I'm so tired of these flimsy legs!  I feel like it's going to fall over at any moment. Thanks !!!