Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4 baby backs on a weber 22  (Read 4245 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: 4 baby backs on a weber 22
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:07 AM »
Thats amazing thanks @qrczak1 I am anxious to get one and try it out.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

SixZeroFour

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
Here's another cheap and easy option... coiled!

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
@qrczak1 wow! That looks like it is about perfect!

So an update...

So the ribs are kind of a side yet signature item in addition to burgers, dogs, etc.

We had 5 adults and several children tomorrow.. but 2 additional friends and their kids who were originally out are now are 'in' so we are now at 6 adults + kids. Are 4 racks of ribs enough as a signature item (in addition to burgers, dogs, etc)?

Heh I might need to make the pain-in-the-neck run to ikea (it's in an annoying spot to get to) to get this great rib device to cook more?

My main smoking grill is going to be my 77' 22" faded mbh.

I have either the 22" performer I picked off the side of the road to handle the burgers/dogs/corn OR I could use the 18" redhead OR my still-needs-to-be-christened 'cado 22".

I was telling my wife you guys are all enablers and will probably be trying to persuede me that I need a ranch or a 26" now to accomodate larger groups of people! :D :D :D

Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
 "I was telling my wife you guys are all enablers and will probably be trying to persuede me that I need a ranch or a 26" now to accomodate larger groups of people! :D :D :D"

Or a Cajun Bandit Stacker!  ;D
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
I would think 4 racks of ribs plus burgers/dogs would be enough but can't hurt to get an extra rack or two. Plus you could cook the ribs on two of your grills and time it to where they finish early and then you can cook burgers and dogs on same grills. Just wrap them in foil and towels and put them in a cooler to keep them warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »
I'm a little late on this, but for four racks you can tie pairs back-to-back (rib-to-rib?) with kitchen twine. Meat side out. Then lay them on the grill just like you would two racks.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 06:50:50 AM »
@qrczak1 wow! That looks like it is about perfect!

So an update...

So the ribs are kind of a side yet signature item in addition to burgers, dogs, etc.

We had 5 adults and several children tomorrow.. but 2 additional friends and their kids who were originally out are now are 'in' so we are now at 6 adults + kids. Are 4 racks of ribs enough as a signature item (in addition to burgers, dogs, etc)?

Heh I might need to make the pain-in-the-neck run to ikea (it's in an annoying spot to get to) to get this great rib device to cook more?

My main smoking grill is going to be my 77' 22" faded mbh.

I have either the 22" performer I picked off the side of the road to handle the burgers/dogs/corn OR I could use the 18" redhead OR my still-needs-to-be-christened 'cado 22".

I was telling my wife you guys are all enablers and will probably be trying to persuede me that I need a ranch or a 26" now to accomodate larger groups of people! :D :D :D

@james1787 , i have done ribs on rib-rack many a time.....3 is easy....4 is tight, depending on size of the ribs (i never cut my racks in 1/2).  the suggestions of facing the bone towards the heat at first, and rotating are solid suggestions.  but remember, you have multiple kettles and can take advantage of that.....i would smoke on 2 kettles (mbh and side of the road platinum, 2 racks per kettle, use the snake method) and then do burgers and dogs on the third kettle (avocado). 

you can go with 1/3 a slab per adult to start, along with burgers, dogs, and sides, that will be plenty.  there will be enough for 2nds. 

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »
Ok folks,
I would call the day successful :)

So lets rewind a little bit to Thursday. I saw the post by @qrczak1 and quickly realized if I am going to be smoking 4 ribs on a 22, the ikea option is the best way to go.. that pic clearly showed how nice it handles the ribs and you can adjust the spacing. So.. after work I decided to make the pain-in-the-ass drive to Ikea (and what a pain it was.. I made a wrong turn and ended up in a not-so-nice section of a large city here in NJ.. but none-the less I made it just fine). The folks at Ikea didn't know their store at all and I finally was able to locate the pot lid holders. Getting out of the store was a chore as that set that place up to tempt you to spend as much as possible as you have to navigate the labyrinth of their store. I made it out of there unscathed with my two pot lid holders.

So Saturday I made the dry rub, lathered up the ribs in mustard and applied the rub. I lit up the grill and kept it at around 275/300.  I rotated / moved around the ribs with the bone side facing the fire for about 3/4 of the cook and the last bit I mopped them and faced them meaty side towards the coals.

Our friends showed up towards the end of the rib smoke.. they were quite excited to try them :)

So I pressed the 'Cado and the red 18" into service. The 'Cado didn't do too much exciting - it heated up corn. Sorry to say it wasn't the grand entrance I was hoping for it's maiden cook at my house, but I will say it made delicious corn. The red 18" cooked the burgers and dogs (and some corn).

I didn't snap too many pics this time around. We have a little bit of left overs so perhaps I'll snap a cut rib pic but otherwise.. here is what I snapped:

Rub applied.. ready for the grill

Just about ready to mop

The other grills getting ready

That's all I got folks. Thank you so much for the help and all the advice. Compliments all around from my friends. good times.. good beer.. good food... all in all a great day!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:51:19 PM by james1787 »
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
Nice cookup and some pretty kettles. Good job.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
Ok folks,
I would call the day successful :)

So lets rewind a little bit to Thursday. I saw the post by @qrczak1 and quickly realized if I am going to be smoking 4 ribs on a 22, the ikea option is the best way to go.. that pic clearly showed how nice it handles the ribs and you can adjust the spacing. So.. after work I decided to make the pain-in-the-ass drive to Ikea (and what a pain it was.. I made a wrong turn and ended up in a not-so-nice section of a large city here in NJ.. but none-the less I made it just fine). The folks at Ikea didn't know their store at all and I finally was able to locate the pot lid holders. Getting out of the store was a chore as that set that place up to tempt you to spend as much as possible as you have to navigate the labyrinth of their store. I made it out of there unscathed with my two pot lid holders.

So Saturday I made the dry rub, lathered up the ribs in mustard and applied the rub. I lit up the grill and kept it at around 275/300.  I rotated / moved around the ribs with the bone side facing the fire for about 3/4 of the cook and the last bit I mopped them and faced them meaty side towards the coals.

Our friends showed up towards the end of the rib smoke.. they were quite excited to try them :)

So I pressed the 'Cado and the red 18" into service. The 'Cado didn't do too much exciting - it heated up corn. Sorry to say it wasn't the grand entrance I was hoping for it's maiden cook at my house, but I will say it made delicious corn. The red 18" cooked the burgers and dogs (and some corn).

I didn't snap too many pics this time around. We have a little bit of left overs so perhaps I'll snap a cut rib pic but otherwise.. here is what I snapped:

Rub applied.. ready for the grill

Just about ready to mop

The other grills getting ready

That's all I got folks. Thank you so much for the help and all the advice. Compliments all around from my friends. good times.. good beer.. good food... all in all a great day!
Great cookup👍

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 04:49:00 AM »
Ribs look like they fit pretty well with room to spare. Looks good!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
Sounds like a great time. It's amazing what you can do with a few kettles.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
Fantastic! I hope everyone enjoyed the hard work. Ikea is no joke to get in and out of.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
Great setup for the cook with all the colorful kettles. Found the IKEA pot holders on Amazon.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 04:36:10 AM »
Yesterday I was tailgating a bit. Friends asked me to cook for their neighbourhood party (organized in the Netherlands annually in actually all neighbourhoods in the country between August and October). Here are some pics of the stuff I took with me. Unfortunately I didn't make a pic of my yesterday's "masterpiece" in terms of space usage. Among 46 lbs of various meat I had 20 lbs of baby backs (13 slabs). I manage to cook it on one cooker and it was not WSM where this would easily fit😂 I did it on my 26 with Weber rack + 2 IKEA pot lid holders with 321 method and 3+2 snake. It turned out delicious according to all party guests. So this is one more confirmation that IKEA pot lid holders are really worth buying 😀