Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not always a success using the WSM.  (Read 3165 times)

abett

• Smokey Joe
Not always a success using the WSM.
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
Yesterday I had 4 racks of St. Louis ribs going on the top rack (using a rib rack) and 2 whome chickens on the lower rack. I overcooked the chickens and may have slightly undercooked the ribs. I should get a thermometer and I could have monitored the chickens better.
I usually cook the ribs between 225 and 250 and the chickens at 300.
Maybe shouldn't have attempted all that at once.
Anyway live and learn I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

abett

• Smokey Joe
Re: Not always a success using the WSM.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »

Yesterday I had 4 racks of St. Louis ribs going on the top rack (using a rib rack) and 2 whole chickens on the lower rack. I overcooked the chickens and may have slightly undercooked the ribs. I should get a thermometer and I could have monitored the chickens better.
I usually cook the ribs between 225 and 250 and the chickens at 300.
Maybe shouldn't have attempted all that at once.
Anyway live and learn I guess.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
I don’t have a WSM but that is a lot of mass so it would take more heat to maintain temperature. Thermometers definitely make it easier to control even if you just get a cheap oven thermometer. Thermoworks smoke is also great but more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
IMO, your mistake was the type of meats being cooked.   Ribs like low and slow, chicken does better hot and fast. 
Next time, try ribs and a Butt.  I try to put the meat that will take longest on the bottom and the shorter cooking one on top.
The WSM can handle a lot of food in it.  They just all have to cook about the same temp.
Good luck in future endeavors!!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
Yup wrong meats together. Best option would have been hot and fast for everything. You need a thermometer for those chickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
Agreed. I also couldn't have the chicken on top since I didn't want it dripping on the ribs.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »
I also learned the hard way that a thermometer is a must for poultry.  I have yet to cook chicken on my WSM as I usually off-set it on my 26'er or beer can it on the performer with the weber beer can attachment.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
I can't believe that Lemans hasn't chimed-in here  ...  he'd probably say something like  ...  you need TWO smokey mountains :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
The time before this I made just chicken and no water in the pan. Kept temp at about 300 and it was good.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
I kind of agree.  Chicken/Ribs is just the wrong combination. 

The time before this I made just chicken and no water in the pan. Kept temp at about 300 and it was good.

Back when I was competing, I won a chicken wing contest doing exactly what you're describing.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
I agree with a lot of this advice, but have a few thoughts. The top rack typically runs a little hotter than the lower, so I would've put the ribs on the bottom and the yardbirds in a pan (maybe a round cake pan) up top. The pan would prevent poultry drippings from hitting the ribs and being on top would allow them to cook at a slightly higher temp than the ribs below. I would also put the ribs on 1-2 hours before adding the chickens because the birds will cook more quickly, and that way it's all done around the same time. I've been really happy with the chickens, turkeys, pork shoulders and ribs that I've cooked on the WSM, but the one thing I haven't been able to do well is a friggin' brisket. I should probably take another stab at it.

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 01:51:10 AM »
Excellent ideas, but will the pan prevent the chickens from getting the wood smoke ?

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:18:39 AM »
Excellent ideas, but will the pan prevent the chickens from getting the wood smoke ?

They will get plenty of smoke. Chicken takes on smoke really easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

iCARRY is correct. The heat & smoke fills the entire WSM, so as long as your chicken pan is smaller than the diameter of the WSM the heat and smoke will circulate properly and everything should turn out great! FWIW, I usually use the disposable rectangular aluminum pans, but any old pan will do.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
Oh BTW. You don't need two Smokey mountains..
But it helps.  Two different meats two different times
Can be done on one WSM but two is easier.. unless I use my Ranch
..SJ are you happy now.. lol
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!