Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib tips  (Read 2144 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Rib tips
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
I haven't noticed any rib tip cooks lately. Personally I buy whole racks of spare ribs, cut the tips off in a whole strip, then cook the St. Louis ribs and tips at the same time. I think they are fantastic.  You just eat the good bits around the tip.

And a question, why does everyone say St. Louis are more meaty than baby back?  My experience is just the opposite. St. Louis have a thinner profile imo. The baby backs that I have always done have a thick meaty, fatty layer of meat above the bone.  Just curious. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Rib tips
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
Looks amazing and good idea to separate.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
I completely agree with you Sean. Baby back ribs are gonna be my go to from now on. I absolutely love doing ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
I did my first St Louis cut ribs about a month ago, always did bb's before that. Yeah, not my favorite, will be sticking with the bb's going forward. My wife was disappointed in the meat to bone ratio.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
Both are great but St. Louis are our favorite. The rib tips are a bonus as well.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
Can't find full racks of spares around here anymore. That's what I used to buy for spares, trimmed them myself, and used the "cut-offs" for many things. Now, the stores around here are selling spare ribs already trimmed, and A LOT more expensive. I go right to the BBs anymore.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
I've never heard that spares had more meat than BB's. I've heard they have more fat because of the location of them on the pig. I like spare's more than BB's, but my girls are the other way. Rib tips are what I call the "cooks treat".

Nice cook, bud. How's that blue mbh doing?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »

I've never heard that spares had more meat than BB's. I've heard they have more fat because of the location of them on the pig. I like spare's more than BB's, but my girls are the other way. Rib tips are what I call the "cooks treat".

Nice cook, bud. How's that blue mbh doing?

Blue and red are hanging out in the background uncovered and enjoying the nice weather. You reminded me that I need to start using it. The blue is my favorite if I had to pick one. Colored kettles are a tough one. I like them but don't want to get them dirty. If I don't use them then I question why I keep them. Either way they are too cool to let go right now.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
That's why I need a weathered warrior.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »
Use the hell out of them @HoosierKettle .  Don't be afraid to get them dirty. I'll put all mine in the rotation now. I think I'm up to 6 or 7 redheads. I'll be damned if I'll be old and dying and say why didn't I cook on those redheads.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Rib tips
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
Your right.  It's easy to neglect grills when you have several. It's almost overwhelming trying to keep track of which grill your going to use and which one needs ashes dumped and which one has leftover coal. [emoji12]
I need to develop a system and dedicate one grill to use for a month then switch. That's a plan anyway. The 26" has gotten a rare call to travel this weekend. Just local but a friend wants help at a party and specifically requested the 26. I couldn't say no of course.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
Good luck at the party brother and have a blast while doing it.

kevin yeager

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
Mmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
I have always cooked spares and got better at it each time I make them.  Like the idea of cooking the tip for some extra good meat.  Where I live it's hard to find spares on sale.  Baby backs are on sale all the time.  Never cooked them but would like to try.  I hear that the cooking time is less and they can dry out if you aren't careful.  Any tips for cooking baby backs?
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »

I have always cooked spares and got better at it each time I make them.  Like the idea of cooking the tip for some extra good meat.  Where I live it's hard to find spares on sale.  Baby backs are on sale all the time.  Never cooked them but would like to try.  I hear that the cooking time is less and they can dry out if you aren't careful.  Any tips for cooking baby backs?

I cook both in a similar fashion.

Spares are on sale frequently in my area. These were $1.69 per lb. sales generally guide my menu more than anything.