Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First overnight on WSM  (Read 2319 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
First overnight on WSM
« on: July 04, 2017, 03:22:49 AM »
We opted for pulled pork today and I wanted to be able to eat early, so I tried my first overnighter last night. I fired up the WSM before bed and popped on a butt I had rubbed down with magic dust. I had my maverick set to go off if my temps dropped too low. That's not usually a problem for me. My WSM is old and leaks so my problem is usually running too hot. The mav never went off. I think my nightstand is slightly too far away for the remote and it reset when it went blank just before bed. Fortunately it's hard to mess up a butt.

Canine alarm went off faithfully at 5 like they always do. The dogs swept the patio for BBQ pirates then hit the grass to do their business so it was safe to pull off the column and check the coals. My fire was completely out but my butt was at 156 so I reset the snake. My neighbors must really wonder about me as I'm standing out there in my nightgown, firing up coals at 5:30 in the morning!! Lol. Climb back in bed smelling of Kingsford and Applewood. "The way God intended" was Honeybun's comment.

Snapped off a quick pic then threw the lid back on, much to the dismay of the dogs, who were actively campaigning for pork breakfast or at the very least to be able to slurp from the water pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First overnight on WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »
Just had to laugh about going out in the nightgown. My wife says to me aren't you going to get dressed before you go out there and check on the smoker? no the neighbors aren't up yet.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
Just had to laugh about going out in the nightgown. My wife says to me aren't you going to get dressed before you go out there and check on the smoker? no the neighbors aren't up yet.

The one thing I'll miss if we move from our current country spot to a subdivision. Neighbors can be very judgmental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
I live in a development/subdivision... I have to be fully clothed. I don't want to be, butt that's the way of the world. Never tried a nightgown tho... :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »
I live in a development/subdivision... I have to be fully clothed. I don't want to be, butt that's the way of the world. Never tried a nightgown tho... :)
Maybe I should get a nightgown just in case
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Good show, Carrie. It helps to mix up the lit charcoal into the unlit a bit if you need it to run unattended for a long time. Sometimes the unlit doesn't catch that well if the lit is lumped to one side. I hate having to put pants on before checking my kettles. lol
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
I most absolutely should not be out in my nightgown as I also live in a subdivision and damn near every neighbor can see me. However at 47 I have no f*cks left to give over what the neighbors might think and really, why are you looking in my yard at 5 in the morning anyway.

Yes by all means get a nightgown. I don't judge. ;) They cover most everything and are comfy to boot.

Just hit 183 so I'll be pulling and wrapping soon. Honeybun and I just came in from putting together a pergola we bought for the west facing, the-sun-is-burning-my-flesh-off deck. We have both sweat enough to fill a pool and have not broken our unfailing streak of putting at least one major piece of every DIY kit together in a wrong direction, no later than step 3, so it necessitates pulling the whole frigging thing apart.  That butt sure smelled sweeter than both of us by the time we were done and it feels hot enough outside that if the coals go out again the sun alone can probably finish it off!! Lol

Hoping my internal temp drops below 190 soon so I can get up and make the sides!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
Sounds like a great way to spend the 4th!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Well, I'm convinced. I'll be overnighting my butts from now on. They always turn out great but this was so effortless. Because my poor old WSM has a lot of leaks and runs hot I have to use the amount of charcoal to also control the temp. I use the snake a lot because even a minion will put me to nearly 400 because of the old girl being out of round, leaky door and a couple of little rust holes in the bowl. I'm going to fix them I've just been working on other projects.

Anyway, I ended up making two snakes, the first burned out completely by this morning, the second nearly burned out. I added one more big scoop of coals (probably about 10) on the burned down embers about an hour before I pulled it to push my butt 190. Foiled then wrapped in two old beach towels and rested in the cooler for about an hour and a half.  It was tender but still had a nice bark. Nice and juicy. 

Since the coals still had a little life's tossed a handful of applewood chips on them, then  I nuked a handful of Yukon golds and boiled a couple eggs and threw them in the grill for about 40 min. Made a potato salad out of them. Didn't pick up a lot of smoke, I'll have to tweak that a bit. Homemade coleslaw and pea salad rounded it all out.

It looked so good when I foiled it I forgot to take a pic and once Honeybun got his claws out, it was all over with!! Lol. We will eat leftover pulled pork with half the leftovers and my 17 yo daughter is already drooling over the pork tacos she wants me to make with the other half.

The dogs got tidbits from us all. It's only fair. They did scare off the BBQ pirates.

It's been a great day. :)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
"When honeybun got his claws out" why did I chuckle? I am so looking forward to meeting you @CarrieAnn and honeybun in Chicago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »
Well, I'm convinced. I'll be overnighting my butts from now on. They always turn out great but this was so effortless. Because my poor old WSM has a lot of leaks and runs hot I have to use the amount of charcoal to also control the temp. I use the snake a lot because even a minion will put me to nearly 400 because of the old girl being out of round, leaky door and a couple of little rust holes in the bowl. I'm going to fix them I've just been working on other projects.

Anyway, I ended up making two snakes, the first burned out completely by this morning, the second nearly burned out. I added one more big scoop of coals (probably about 10) on the burned down embers about an hour before I pulled it to push my butt 190. Foiled then wrapped in two old beach towels and rested in the cooler for about an hour and a half.  It was tender but still had a nice bark. Nice and juicy. 

Since the coals still had a little life's tossed a handful of applewood chips on them, then  I nuked a handful of Yukon golds and boiled a couple eggs and threw them in the grill for about 40 min. Made a potato salad out of them. Didn't pick up a lot of smoke, I'll have to tweak that a bit. Homemade coleslaw and pea salad rounded it all out.

It looked so good when I foiled it I forgot to take a pic and once Honeybun got his claws out, it was all over with!! Lol. We will eat leftover pulled pork with half the leftovers and my 17 yo daughter is already drooling over the pork tacos she wants me to make with the other half.

The dogs got tidbits from us all. It's only fair. They did scare off the BBQ pirates.

It's been a great day. :)

No BBQ pirates here either....them dawgs are ON IT, eh?

Sounds like you've been busy cookin' up a storm.....on the taters, if you'd like more smoke flavor / penetration, stab them all over w/a fork to just puncture the skin & they pick up much better....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
Sounds like an exciting cook. I still have yet to do a pork butt but really need to. I have read a ton of good advice on here. Great job!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Sounds like an exciting cook. I still have yet to do a pork butt but really need to. I have read a ton of good advice on here. Great job!

Sounds like a great opportunity to break out that red 26er. You can do it!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 06:57:00 AM »
@kettlebb Yes, it does. It has been sitting there patiently waiting its turn while its little brother does all the work. I still do not have an ash pan but have a couple options out there, just need to chose one. I am also going to make the modified char baskets per @56MPG post.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
Congrats on 1000 posts @mhiszem